Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my field trip to tony Bourdain's place

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i had to go up to new york city on wednesday for a meeting. . .planned it so i had a couple of hours before the meeting for a good lunch. .. .as i'm a big anthony bourdain fan (love his 'cooks tour' shows and his books, 'kitchen confidential' etc), i went to his restaurant "Les Halles" for lunch. .. .i've also been reading his new "les halles cookbook", which is a great read. .. he swears by the taste and texture of 'hanger' steak over more traditional expensive cuts like tenderloin or sirloin. .. . so. .. .i of course i had the hanger steak along with the classic pomme frites (french fries). .. .what a fantastic meal. . .the steak was tender and just full of great flavor. .. .as part of the classic french bistro theme, they actually have the butcher and butcher counter right in the front entrace to the place (you can buy meat there to take home as well). ...here is a picture of the meat cabinet. ..i almost got down on my knees to pray at this 'alter' to great beef. . .. btw. . .the hanger steaks are the ones front and center. ..[p]DSCN1407.jpg[p]i'm going to be trying his hanger steak recipe at home on the egg as soon as i find some. ..

Comments

• Rumrunner
    Options
    purdy, real purdy.....lunch time, too ;)

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Rumrunner,
    thanks steve. .. did you see my email to you???. .. .in short. . .is "skirt" steak the same as "hanger" steak???

• Rumrunner
    Options
    Morning Max,
    the Hanger is a piece of meat attached to the diaphragm muscle on the beef rib. They weigh approx 3/4 of a pound and are relatively tender, surprisingly, and full of rich flavor. They are close to, but not attached to, the Skirt Steak. There are only TWO per cow.[p]There are two types of 'skirt' steak 1) inner skirt from the flank/hindquarter and 2) outer skirt from the plate/forequarter. [p]The Outside Skirt is the trimmed, boneless portion of the diaphragm muscle, which is attached to the 6th through 12th ribs on the underside of the short plate. The membrane, which is trimmed close to the lean, is attached. The Inside Skirt is a trimmed, boneless portion with the membrane removed. The lean surface is trimmed practically free of fat. A Skirt can weigh as little as one pound and up to four pounds and there are only four 'skirts' per animal.

So NO, they are not the same thing. You could probably get the same results in a recipe, though. You could try "Flap Meat" (left in the chunk) in place of the "Hanger", also. All three should be marinated over night, though I'm not sure what Tony's recipe call for.

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]That looks like a place I'd go with you!![p]I'm into Tony!![p]Both his books are great reads..... IMO.[p]His new show is a hoot as well![p]See you soon!![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Chubby,
    hey evans. . ..it was a great eating experience. ..if you like tony, go check out the new book "les Halles cookbook". ..supposedly you will get identical results as the restaurant. . .[p]yep, looking forward to seeing you in atlanta. . .btw. ..i want a set of grate mates for my small. .. will you be having some with you to sell??

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    i sorta feel that the new show doesn't live up to "Cooks Tour." Of course if you don't read the book, the TV show doesn't have the same impact. The new show seems to be more about traveling than cooking which Tony is obviously not interested in, which may be the appeal. Anyhow I am still a fan.
    billyg
  • pipedream
    Options
    hey mad max-
    the wife and i are going to NYC for a weekend getaway on halloween weekend. tell me where this place is, i would love to try the hanger. any other NYC sweet spots you know of would be appreciated as well.
    -pipedream