Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking of buying AR. Praises? Complaints?

Options
I've been mulling over getting an AR (R&B Oval combo specifically for those who know the lingo!). I've spent the better part of the day doing some research and piecing together just how it works, what it can and can't do, and how to accessorize it. After a lot of head scratching, figuring out what the different parts are named, what they do, and how it all ties in together...I'm at a loss as to whether or not to get it. I know how it all works now, at least as much as I can without having it right in front of me, but that isn't helping me make a decision!

This thing costs a lot of money. I have no doubt that it is well built, durable, handy, and awesome in every way...but it's still pretty expensive.

My PS broke the other day and we jerry-rigged it so it will hopefully work...but the thing could break again at any time, and I'm not buying another if they're that delicate.

Please convince me one way or the other. 

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    With the AR and accessories like the spider, you can configure your egg to cook in any conceivable way.  It also allows you to cook more quantity of food with great quality.  If you get the oval combo, do yourself a favor and get the foil ring.  When I sold my large, I sold my oval AR.  Now I got an XL with an AR and I miss the oval foil ring.  It's a great disposable drip pan made out of foil in seconds. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I bought the AR R&B oval combo, and I love it.  I added the spider, highly recommended.  My gasser is now a storage area... these are not small accessories.

I had a homebrewed system before that, and I knew that wasn't going to last.  It worked, but wasn't flexible -  a bit of a one trick pony.

The distance between the AR grids if you use the oval stone is good for ribs/chicken, but not anything taller. So, I use the spider with a stone if needed, this allows the grids to get pretty far apart.  With this setup, I  cooked 2 full 14# packers on the AR.

The AR is also good for getting higher in the dome, even when not cooking indirect.

"Buy the AR R&B Combo, and the spider" - Thomas Jefferson.  It's in the constitution.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I would go for it. I'm looking forward to getting one when the time is right. The AR provides the most versatility of any accessory I have seen.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I have almost everything Tom sells so I guess that makes me biased but the AR works. I also have a Woo 2 and 3 . The only thing I would do different is skip the Woo 3 since I think the spider as a separate accessory is a better option.

If you get the rig get the oval stone and the drip pans Tom sells along with a pizza stone. I picked up an extra oval grate and made a raised grate that doesn't hit the thermometer for an added level.
  • SickEyeDiaz
    Options
    Decided to bite the bullet and go for it. I'm sure I will make good use out of it!  \:D/
  • RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    Options
    You will love it. I use the AR on almost every cook. Raised direct cooks some nice chicken.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• SickEyeDiaz
    Options
    Damn... I never realized just how deep the BGE sub-culture goes in terms of lingo, especially when third-party accessories are involved. Complex linguistics aside, I love it!
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I can't imagine you'll be sorry. Aside from some $15 welding gloves is the most versatile accessory I own. Use it on just about every cook.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I doubt like hell you're going to find much if any bad feedback against the AR here.  Tom makes great stuff and I own damn near all of it.  Just do it, you won't be sorry!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I've got an AR 15... Noveske lower with a Bravo Company upper... Love it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    All toms stuff is well thought out but the AR is the best. Have the large and XL and they give you the ability to cook anything you want perfect.
  • BoomerTheWeim
    Options
    My AR lives in my large.  Best thing I have ever asked for as a Christmas gift.
    Clayton, NC

Large BGE, Mini BGE, Two Weimaraners
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    You might as well pick up a spider and a small grate while your at it for a great sear on steaks and to use as a place to put a stone lower into the egg for indirect cooks.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I have AR with extender, can run a stone with three grates, and use it 90% of the time. The only criticism I have is that the extender doesn't lock on to the AR frame when I add the BGE grate on top of the frame to get the third rack. But otherwise recommend getting the AR design you want, the hardware is first rate and the cost will quickly be forgotten with delight.
  • Goatsegg
    Goatsegg Posts: 113
    Options
    I got an AR in the combo setup for my XL and use either AR or woo on most cooks. I'd suggest getting an extra pair of crossbars. CGS purchase was a no brainer and the quality is top notch.
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

• jeroldharter
    Options
    I have one and would consider it standard equipment at this point. Very well built. The only downside, is that it must be removed to work with the firebox and then the grate must be removed, so you need some space to work. I put a piece of cardboard on my work table and the put the AR on the cardboard and the grate on the AR.
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    Options
    I use either the AR and/or spider on virtually every cook.  I have purchased a large pizza pan to place it on when I need to move it during a cook.  It is high quality, not cheaply made.  The downside is it is not cheap to buy.  For me, definitely worth the money as I can amortize it over the rest of my cooking life.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    would somebody enlighten me as to what a AR & RB is  thank you in advance
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    and  a woo & spider
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • SickEyeDiaz
    Options
    would somebody enlighten me as to what a AR & RB is  thank you in advance
    AR = adjustable rig
    RB = ribs/briskit

it's all explained here if you have time to sort through it!

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    SickEyeDiaz    thank you for the clarifaction now I understand 
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Quit thinking about it. Get it. Use it. Love it. And never look back. You are going to love it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Th AR lives in the egg. Never comes out. Love the adjustable/multiple levels. Spider is great for additional cook space/searing.

4x8lb boneless pork butts in the pic

Garnerville, NY
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    damn, that was quick. When did you order? Your post was from last Friday. 

I need one now. With all the other stuff i bought i should have bought the AR. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • SickEyeDiaz
    Options
    I ordered it Friday night, it shipped Monday and came today.
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    Options
    I just ordered the AR round (customer combo) with the 16" grid should be here Saturday. I think I screwed up by getting the round, since I mostly cook chickens,thighs and ribs.  fingers crossed that it works for what I need

Aurora,OH
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    Last time it will be that shiny, I forget these things don't actually come in "smoke black" color! 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Bought one for my first Large and another for my second Large. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SickEyeDiaz
    Options
    ^^^ is that recent?