Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder/Boston Butt Help!

Options
Grillmagic
Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
edited August 2013 in Pork

I posted a question about Lo and Slow vs Turbo and I am still undecided which method, here is my situation I have a 2 piece 18.21 pound pork shoulder/boston butt (one is bigger than the other and I would say the bigger one is 9 1/2 to 10 pounds and the other is 8 to 8 1/2 pounds) I am feeding 16/18  adults around 3:30 to 5:30 PM this Saturday, I will also be cooking some apps (ABT's and Pork Shots) My questions are; which method (turbo or lo and slow) and what temps and how long for each method and will I need both pieces of shoulder/butts. My set up is a XL with a plate setter and thermo pen, I do not have maverick or digi-q I will also be serving BBQ Beans, Cole Slaw and Potato Salad. I am a newbie with about 600 to 800 pounds of lump through the BBG including several racks of ribs (3-2-1), several spatchcock chickens, several apps (chicken bombs, ABT's, Pork Shot's) several pork lions and tenderloins, Pizza, and steaks and burgers. All my cooks except the first two pizza cooks have came out great so there is a bit of pressure to do the mighty pork butts. Thank you very much for your input in advance.

Chuck

www.chuckkingcomedy.com  

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I generally cook at a temp that will ballpark the roast finishing when I want it to.  If I have the option, I cook low and slow over turbo. 

Every piece of meat cooks differently, and keep in mind grate versus dome temps are different.

For general guidelines, you can use something like this:

http://meatsmokingcalculator.com/
    First thing pork butts are very forgiving so either way as long as you cook to temp you should be fine.  I'm naturally an early riser so personally I would go turbo and start it early in the AM.  I'd go at 250-275 until IT reaches 160 and then foil the butts and crank up the heat to 350 or so (you can always go higher if you have time constraints).  You could probably get away with just the big one, but you may as well do both.  You can freeze the extras or send some home with your guests (always a big hit).  Good luck, let us know how it works out 

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014