Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT.. Who have you met?

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I met foghorn one time. He's kinda a big deal.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    I met foghorn one time. He's kinda a big deal.

After my last post, I actually was thinking that about a whole bunch of folks that I met in Salado.... even you.

Of course, meeting VI and knowing that he towed that borrowed motorcycle there on a trailer and tried to convince us that he occasionally rides it was the highlight... in a pathetic sort of way.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited August 2013

I haven't met any Presidents or generals or important leaders in society, but while working at a bar in college, I did meet Pat Green. Later that night, I also cut him off, got in a verbal argument with him and then threw him out of the bar. That was a fun night.

I would have to say meeting Lars Frederiksen after watching Rancid (my favorite band of all time) play on my birthday was one of the coolest moments.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• dogfoot
    dogfoot Posts: 62
    I was buying some fruit at Walmart in Park City the other day a man walked by and said excuse me, I looked up it was Mitt Romney
  • Most memorable, The late great General H. Norman Schwarzkoph, aka "stormin norman"I even had him on my résumé. Him and the CEO of McDonalds and Remington fire arms were pretty cool people too.

Stormin Norman was mine too.  Company had him do a talk at a conference one year and I got to sit at his table during dinner.  Wish I'd gotten a picture.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Most memorable, The late great General H. Norman Schwarzkoph, aka "stormin norman"I even had him on my résumé. Him and the CEO of McDonalds and Remington fire arms were pretty cool people too.
    Stormin Norman was mine too.  Company had him do a talk at a conference one year and I got to sit at his table during dinner.  Wish I'd gotten a picture.

@swvabeancounter - You gotta get pictures or you won't be believed! Here's me & Little Steven. He's kinda a big deal.
    Flint, Michigan
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I met Jack Schitt once, so you can't say that I don't know Schitt. [-(

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    edited August 2013
    Back when I worked in Ottawa I was fortunate enough to meet pretty much every hockey player that played in the late 90s to 2007. As well as most big stars (acts)  that came to the city and played what is now The Canadian Tire Center, formerly known as the bank or the corel center). I also met the guys from top gear, and top gear usa, the BBC guys were probably a highlight for me.
    HFX NS
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678

Most memorable, The late great General H. Norman Schwarzkoph, aka "stormin norman"I even had him on my résumé. Him and the CEO of McDonalds and Remington fire arms were pretty cool people too.
    @swvabeancounter - You gotta get pictures or you won't be believed! Here's me & Little Steven. He's kinda a big deal.

I am guessing Little Steven isn't the guy in the Red Wings Jersey
    =))

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • That would be me!!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    JRWhitee said:
    I am guessing Little Steven isn't the guy in the Red Wings Jersey =))
    No.  Little Steven is in front of him, with a pink jacket and blue jeans on.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I met DeNiro after Clinton's inauguration in '93.  Told him I really admired his body of work.  He nodded, mumbled, "thanks," shook my hand and walked away.  I think he only was that gregarious because I was a kid.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Living in the DC area, I've met politicians and high ranking govt officials. 

While I only met them very briefly afterwards, the most memorable was attending an event on the 50th anniversary of Midway with panel discussion by pilots from the Enterprise, Hornet, and Yorktown discussing the battle.  Beside interesting insights into the development of the battle, the attitudes were interesting.  The fighter pilots were still cocky, the torpedo plane pilot was still annoyed at the cocky fighter plane pilots for no air cover, and the dive bomber pilots were pissed at the historians who claimed the sinkings were lucky due to the timing of attacks.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Just interesting people I've met.  Earle Denton (you'll have to look that one up), BG Willard Webb, many shuttle astronauts; here's a name drop, Ellison Onizuka.  Richard Truly used to come to my folks house for dinner.  Went fishing a couple of times with Don Gurgiolo (another one you'll have to look up).  Perhaps less famous, but still interesting, Joe Bilby.  One time on KSC I was supervising security at a VIP launch viewing site, and a Suburban rolled up with the wrong placard.  I told the driver they would have to leave, and the rear window rolled down, and a very scruffy looking guy leaned out and said "I'm Steven Spielberg, I think this is where we were told to go".  Most of us have met interesting people from time to time.

My favorite story about meeting someone unusual, is a person who's name I don't even know.  I went into the men's room at work, and stood up to the urinal.  A guy lined up on the one beside me, and I glanced over.  It was an AF Lt. General (3 star).  I said to him, "Not every day I meet a Lt. General" and he said, "We pee like everyone else".

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Oh, last time I was in Oahu I saw Jim Neighbors (Gomer Pyle) walk through the lobby of the hotel.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

Like ragtop99 I've met numerous politicians/govt officials when I lived in DC.

I've met Stephen King numerous times; I played baseball and basketball against his youngest son in high school and he used to teach at my high school (and used to give a $3k scholarship to each of the Top-10 in our graduating class).  Fun note; two different teachers who worked in his old classroom (and where he allegedly met the inspiration for Carrie) had nervous breakdowns while I was there.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• So far I think ACN and Stephrn King are my leader.  Would love to have a chance to meet him.  I don't count this as a meeting, but at a NASCAR race back in the 80's I saw Frank Perdue.  Tried to say hello, but he wouldn't even acknowledge my presence, of course I was probably a little drunk at the time.  It still stands out because he was really tall.  Somehow I had always thought of him as a little fella.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I sat next to Peewee Herman at a movie theater once.  :-O
    ewwww

TMI

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • I sat next to Peewee Herman at a movie theater once.  :-O

I hope you didn't share popcorn!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    JRWhitee said:

TMI

... but not surprising....

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i caught george w using my mooring without permission but the secret service didnt let me get close enough to have my say
    :))  oh, its no secret if a secret service man is in a big black boat with a big black gun mounted in front wearing black secret service suits..... the big giveaway though is the big white letters down the side of the boat ....SECRET SERVICE 
    :D snuck right up on me with that disguiss
    :)) geoorge was filming a show with the reel guys, they must have been scouting me catching fish there all week, kinda spot burned me and beat me to the incoming tide
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I met the guys of Atlanta Rythum Section and got to party backstage... No one probably remembers them.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Ragtop99
    henapple said:
    I met the guys of Atlanta Rythum Section and got to party backstage... No one probably remembers them.
    They had some good songs.  If someone offered backstage passes back then, I would have gone.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I don't remember much but they said I had fun.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Ragtop99
    henapple said:
    I don't remember much but they said I had fun.
    Kinda like the 60s. 
    :))
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited August 2013

henapple said:
    I remember them ARS opened up for Styx at my high school gymnasium in 1976 in Rockford Illinois. A Catholic high school at that. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    The most memorable guy I met was Red Skelton, he was a genuine nice person who took the time to talk with me. Also Met Jimmy Carter and Tom Clancy.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Goatsegg
    Goatsegg Posts: 113
    Stevie Ray Vaugh- 1987- cooked dinner for him and got tix and backstage passes. Oh, Blackened Mahi and BBQ shrimp.
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE