Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket time

Options
I've got a 15 lbs whole brisket. I need it for supper Saturday, football time!, but I have to work Friday night so putting it on around 5 pm Friday. What kind of time am I looking at. Just to low as possible and correct when I get home 14 hours later

XLBGE 

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options

My last 14.5 pounder only took 7 hours at a grid temp of 240... hopefully, you don't have the unusual brisket that cooks really fast.

As you know, others will tell you that it can take up to 2 hours per pound so you could be looking at 30 hours - although that can be shortened by rasing the temp when you get home.

So, given your schedule, I would do just what you suggest.  Get the egg stabilized as low as possible (220 or so) and put the meat on as late as possible before leaving for work.  I would also put it on cold - essentially straight from the refrigerator. It should take a long time for the meat to get much above 190 when the cooking temp is only 220. 

Then - as you already suggested - adjust as needed when you get home in the morning.

Good luck. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I agree with Foghorn. I was in the same boat with my last 12 pounder. Put it on at midnight and woke up with a butter-tender brisket at 0600. Pray to the brisket gods!

P.S. HOORAY shift work. I don't miss those days. Have a zombish Saturday!
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Sounds good guys.

@eggcelsior
    It's awful. I worked days for the last 4 years. And then had 730-1530 in the cath lab. Talk about a routine!! Now swing shift in er is yup a zombie life ;)
    But it's only a season.

XLBGE 
  • TexasCrane
    Options
    Cook it at 275-300 and put it on around 6-7am Saturday morning.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @foghorn
    What happened???

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Habenero Monterey Jack. Smells amazing.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 
  • Foghorn
    Options

Just like @Eggcelsior, I had a perfectly cooked brisket at 0600 and a party at 1900.  I put it in the refrigerator for most of the day and warmed it in foil before I sliced it at the party.  Everybody loved it and wants me to do it again....

@TexasCrane may have the right answer for you.  I just haven't done a brisket that I purposefully cooked at 275 - 300 in an effort to avoid the overnight cook so I can't personally recommend it.  I've done it with pork butts and it works great. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I've done a good many turbo butts and no problem there,  I just can't afford a squirley turbo brisket after I've worked all night and then have to nap, and then have a deadline for supper. 

XLBGE 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Makes sense.

San Antonio, TX

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Good luck.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have maintained 200 degrees grid temp using a controller for several hours.  I'm not sure if I would go quite that low if you are not there to monitor it.  Maybe go for like 210?   I'm assuming you will be using the party Q for the cook right?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @smokeypitt
    Yes. I'd have just enough time to "stabilize" and throw the controller on.

XLBGE