Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean Burn Mistake

Options
Ragtop99
Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
I was about an hour into a clean burn on my XL.  The egg was just under 700* when I decided I should add the stone for my Woo and a little more charcoal to extend the burn time since I was just running on about a 1/4 load of coals. The lid opened fine but when I went to shut it, it shifted.  I could feel the bands had expanded and the lid was loose. It came down an inch out of position.   I wrestled it back into position best I could given it is pretty warm.  It is now sitting pretty much where it should.  However, I can see that on the back-left side, it is sitting probably 1/16 to 1/8" off the bottom, providing a big air gap.  It is sitting fine (i.e. flush on the bottom) everywhere else. 

Should I deal with the gap after cools down tomorrow or do I need to try to adjust it now while it is hot? 
Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Let it cool down as you may have other issues to deal with as well.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    Too hot to deal with now.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Don't sweat it, my XL does that when its over 600 degrees for an hour or more. Keep it closed and once it cools it will be fine without any issues. Gaps will lose and bands will re-align.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Funny you post this thread.  I was just realigning the band and tightening the bolts on my XL Egg. The band on the right side of the top of the dome had shifted down, so I wanted to get it back on well.

I have about a 1/8" underbite on my Egg now, but I'll figure out how to adjust that and get it straightened out as well.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Ragtop99
    Options
    Thanks.  I'll chill.  I've felt it get wobbly from the heat before, but not as bad as this time, but I rarely do 600+ for any sustained time.
  • Ragtop99
    Options
    Took a quick look this morning.  Definitely will have to play the bands.  The gap might be as much as 1/4".  Almost looks like the hinge is bent a bit on the side that is sticking up.

May need to remove the remaining gasket too.