Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect on the Small

Mattman3969
Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
I didn't buy a PS with the small cause from reading on here most of the small owners are using the Woo and a small stone and I want raised direct . Is that correct in my thinking? Prolly gonna get online and order tonight or tomorrow and am looking for advice on the correct setup.
I have the PSWoo3 in my large and love it and it never leaves the egg. Hoping this setup will work on the small as well.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I have a Woo and PS for my Small and my PS goes unused. Woo & 10" stone is what I'd recommend. If you think you'll cook pizzas on your Small you could get a second stone. If you think you might want to wok on your Woo or use a CI cooking grid or CGW swing grate on it, you might opt for no handles on the Woo.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • I'd go woo if I could do it again. I like the plate setter, but can't go raised direct

XLBGE 
  • Mattman3969
    Thanks guys!! Do either one of you have the High Que grate?

analyze adapt overcome

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I have a High Que in my Small. It makes a noticeable difference in performance on mine. It does allow more small bits of lump to fall through and cleaning them out of a Small through the lower vent is a bit of a pain if you use an ash tool (I do NOT recommend an ash tool for a Small). IMO, the better performance outweighs the increased bits of lump.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Mattman3969
    Thank You @R2Egg2Q. I have the High Que on my large so I know about the the smaller fall through. 

analyze adapt overcome

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Well, I have the High-Q, Woo, and the plate setter on my Small.  Can do raised direct (which I do a lot) with the woo, and the plate setter either legs up or down for indirects (I'm usually cooking just for myself).  The woo with a small stone may be more economical than a platesetter, I don't know.

I use my ash tool to clean out my Small.  Its not as convenient as on the Large, but if you stick the ash tool into the hole when there's no lump in your Small, and look down from above, you can see what angles/moves you need to do to clean it out fairly well.  The nice thing is disassembling the bowls from the Small to do a thorough cleaning is really easy.  

Regarding the small lump pieces that fall through the High-Q:  a lot of them burn there during a hotter burn, but if I pull a lot of ash out and realize there's a lot of unburned lump in it, I wait until a really windy day and then pour the ash from one pail to another; the ash blows away (hopefully fertilizing my lawn, or my pants) and the lump pieces fall into the bottom pail, to be tossed back into Mr. Egg.  
    B-)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Mattman3969
    Tru that on the small pieces. Let me know if fertilizing your pants makes a difference :D

analyze adapt overcome

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I have a high-que, CGS Woo, and now a CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for my small. 

I agree with R2Egg2Q and prefer to clean my small from the top. 

I think I will be ordering a custom woo around 1" shorter so I can use my swing rack raised direct, I can do it flipping the woo upside-down but I would like it to be slightly shorter to have a little more room on the top rack. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Tru that on the small pieces. Let me know if fertilizing your pants makes a difference :D

=))

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• Mattman3969
    @Solson005 - with the large small combo which is your go to for pizza or wokking?

analyze adapt overcome

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Let me know if fertilizing your pants makes a difference :D

Sadly, nothing's grown there for a long time... 
    :(

:D

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Mattman3969
    Jus messin man :D

analyze adapt overcome

• Solson005
    Large for both, mainly because I like the 16" wok with the "helper handle" that I use with my spider and my large. 

The 12" wok with just metal hoop handles does not sit perfect on the small woo because of the handles and I have to wear welding gloves the entire cook, which isn't a big deal but i prefer the handle. 

Pizza on the small is great especially being able to travel and make it at a friends house. But the crust comes out just a little better with the platesetter, egg feet, then the pizza stone method on my large. Again the woo handles make me have to raise the stone up and i use fire bricks. So a shorter woo may solve that issue. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Mattman3969
    Is that a 13" stone for the pizza?

analyze adapt overcome

• Solson005
    edited August 2013
    I think it is a 12" it is the BGE one they sell for the med / small. 

That may be part of the issue too, but it still is better than delivery! 
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955

As long as you keep that  12" BGE stone up well above the felt line on your small...it will work great!!

Been doin' it for years!

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!