Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wayyyyyyy OT

GrannyX4
GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
I'm working on a photo book of MDSH for the Grands and I'm trying to find a picture of the fly over at Super Bowl II in the Orange Bowl. I have been searching for weeks and I can't find it. I thought that since it was the first fly over the Air Force would have a picture. I have found other fly overs but not the first with the F-4 Phantom II. If I was handy with the photoshop like IV I could just photoshop the plane into the Orange Bowl. Anyone have any idea where I might look???
Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Have you looked over any Green Bay Packer or Oakland Raider websites?
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • GrannyX4
    No, I'll give them a go. I did the newspapers and ny times. Thanks. ;;)
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    How about Sports Illustrated?
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • GrannyX4
    I just finished checking SI and the New Yorker. I also checked out the Packers and Raiders history. ;;)
  • troutgeek
    edited August 2013
    I looked around a bit, and couldn't find anything. I did run across a blurb that mentioned Super Bowl III having the first flyover, but couldn't find anything there either.
  • GrannyX4
    Super bowl II in the Orange Bowl was the first Air Force Fly over. MDSH did it while he was based at Homestead Air Force Base in the F-4 Phantom II. Super bowl I and II were not called the Super Bowl at the time and were changed later. I have been woring on this off and on for about a year and found it hard to believe that there weren't any pictures. I keep thinking I'm missing something. Thanks for looking? ;;)
  • troutgeek
    I'm a born and raised Wisconsinite/Green Bay Packer fan. Yep, Super Bowl wasn't a name yet. Bowls I and II were the AFL - NFL World Championship game, otherwise known as Green Bay's championship wins #10 and #11. Have you checked with the Air Force? Maybe the EAA in Oshkosh? Certainly a picture or two exist somewhere.
  • GrannyX4
    I've been going through the air force photos for 2 days. It seems a lot was going on with the war at the time and their search engine doesn't do a good job of sorting. I don't know what an EAA is but I'll check into it. Well I thought a picture or two should exists too but the husband never saw one either. Tomorrow I'm going to go back to the network that televised the game and dig a little deeper. I have picked all kinds of little tidbits while doing my search especially about Vince Lombardi. There was a YouTube video with a pep speech he gave to the team. Very interesting man. ;;)
  • The EAA is the experimental aircraft association.  Ha not much help, but since I go to those meetings I knew that one!!

XLBGE 
  • GrannyX4
    edited August 2013
    EAA is great. I sent out some emails to their library and museum and we will see if there are any replies. Search didn't turn up and information. More later. Thanks. ;;)
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• GrannyX4
    @dlk7 thank you. I sent them an email. L
  • GrannyX4
    Wow!!! My eyes filled with tears I just couldn't believe it. No I didn't get the photos but I sent out 4 emails and within an hour I got two responses. One from the EAA library and she gave me a new place to look for the Air Force photos and the EAA Government Avocacy put a phone call into the NFL and will get back to me. Wow. Thank you..... :x
  • You might try directly contacting the special events department of the NFL in their NY office. They have archives of Super Bowl photos.

Or try contacting the host Dolphins. Good luck!
    Mamaroneck
  • GrannyX4
    I just got an email from the NFL in New York and they came up with nothing and they gave me five more suggestions. I sent out 6 emails today and I got 2 responses and both were from the EAA. The government Avocacy sent me the email from the NFL. I will follow up with their suggestions tomorrow. ;;)
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279

I'm trying to remember which network did the broadcast, CBS or NBC? I know they probably keep old broadcasts. Also, there are a number of folks who sell old game films, and this might be one of them. A google search for old nfl films might bring something up.

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • Maybe try the FAA too. They would have been in charge of airspace. I can't wait to see what you find!!

http://www.faa.gov/

They have a ton of pics. I can type in our N number and they have pics of us landing at different places... Creepy

XLBGE 
  • GrannyX4
    @warwoman it was CBS and I did contact them, no word yet. The fellow from NY told me to contact AP and Getty images for old photos. No word yet. Thanks. ;;)
  • GrannyX4
    @mrcookingnurse, I have no clue what the tail number is but I will got through his flight log to see if it was documented. They landed on an Air Force Base and I don't think in my wildest imagination they would have pictures especially in 1968. Tomorrow is a new day. ;;)
  • I think you are getting there!! 

Here are just a few more websites I found some info on our plan with just google searching the N number.  

XLBGE 
  • R3K
    R3K Posts: 52

This may be a stretch, but maybe you could try contacing ESPN.  I suspect their photo/video archives will be more on the game itself, but it's worth a try.  Who knows, if you explain why you're doing this project, they may decide to do a short feature you YOU!!!!

• GrannyX4
    @R3K. ESPN was founded in 1979. This game took placed in 1968. I did contact CBS who aired the game. I'm waiting to hear from them.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Have you contact NFL Films(of Sabol fame?) They started filming games in 1964 on a regular basis. I don't know if you mentioned it before and I would have expected the NFL offices to let you know about it. When ever they show old clips(greatest games, etc) it's always Ed/Steve Sabol stuff. I typically see flyovers when they show the Superbowl stuff(very commonly is the Jets/Colts game from 1969)

They are based in Mt. Laurel, New Jersey.
  • GrannyX4
    @Eggcelsior. I did get an email from the NFL in NY and they don't have it. I did find a web site with a lot of flyovers and the 1969 game. By 1969 the husband was with the airlines. I sent out a letter today to the NFL hall of fame per the suggestion of the NFL. I'll check out Sabol photos. Thanks for helping. ;;)
  • GrannyX4
    I just sent an email to NFL production Steve Sabol. On there web site they have 26 minutes of the game listed for the Packers.
  • GrannyX4
    I heard from NFL film productions - no pictures of the fly over. They suggested I contact AP and Getty images. I sent them an email yesterday.
  • GrannyX4
    @mrcookimgnurse. I found my husband's flight log and no tail number listed.
  • R3K
    R3K Posts: 52

Man...so close but so far.  I keep hoping to read the "found it" post.

Was your husband Air Force or Navy?  If he was Air Force, was he flying the F-4's as part of the Thunderbirds Demonstration team for that flyover?  If he WAS part of the T-birds at the time, then I'd try contacting the Public Affairs office on Nellis AFB to get a number to the T-birds public affairs office and maybe they'll still have some pictures or video from that particular flyover.  Same goes for the Navy I guess..if he flew for the Blue Angels at the time, then maybe they have something archived too.

• GrannyX4
    @r3k. Husband was in the Air Force at Homestead AFB. Not in the Thunderbirds. Husband said the flyover was a last minute assignment. I would like to see the "I found it" post too but just in case I will just use a formation picture of F-4's and pretend. ;;)
  • GrannyX4
    NFL media responded this morning and suggested I check back in March after football season. They just don't have the resources to research it now. ;;)