Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

How many racks?

Hola folks,

Looks like I am on the hook to cook ribs for 10 or so people this weekend.  I have a large egg and usually cook my ribs in a rack using the 3-1-1.5 method.  What is the most number of racks that you guys think I can fit on my egg?  I like the rack because it keeps the ribs separated while cooking.  For the last 1.5hrs I usualy sauce and flip every 15 minutes.

Thanks in advance,

Rajuncajun

Comments

• Do you have a grid extender or any other way of creating a second grid?

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,159
    You can do five or six on the vertical holding them apart with wooden skewers.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RajunCajunRajunCajun Posts: 144
    I do have a grid extender made from an Old Smokey grill and all thread rod and washers...I usually cook at ~225deg grid temp using my Digi Q.  Wouldnt the upper grill run a little hotter since it is up higher in the dome?
  • RajunCajunRajunCajun Posts: 144
    another thing I thought of is I have never used the grid extender with the indirect setup.  Is there enough room to use both?
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 4,754
    How many slots are in your rib rack?  I have a V-rack that can be inverted and has 6 slots.  I usually do 3 full racks and cut them in half so they don't hang over the plate setter.  I've seen plenty of people do 6 full racks or more.  You can use foil or a big drip pan to create more indirect space. 

For 10 people I don't think you really need 6 full racks...but I guess it depends how hungry they are :).  I doubt anyone would eat more than a 1/2 slab.  I think 5 would be plenty.  You could put 4 full racks in the center slots and a 1/2 rack in the outer slots to help them fit. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
    2014 Wing King's Apprentice
  • scarri3rscarri3r Posts: 29
    I cook my baby backs in a large roasting pan like Myron Mixon's recipe calls out.  I marinade for 4 hours in the fridge, pat dry and put my rub on.  Then I cook at 250 uncovered in the large aluminum pan.  I place the pan vertically so it can fit in the large egg.  I spritz after the first 30 minutes and spritz every 15 minutes after while they are uncovered.  Total cook time is 2 hours uncovered so they can get some smoke on them.  Then I put some apple juice ( about a cup ) in the pan and cover with foil and cook for another hour.   After that, I use a homemade glaze ( or you can use your favorite bbq sauce ) to coat them and let them dwell in the shell for another 30 mins.  ( shut your vents down for this last 30 mins.  You can fit 2 long racks of ribs in this pan which will probably feed 4-5 people.  Total cook time is only  3 1/2 hours.  2 hours uncovered, 1 hour foiled, 30 mins dwell in the shell.   ( 2 -1 - 1/2 ) method
  • scarri3rscarri3r Posts: 29
    Here's a couple pics of them.
    Enjoy,
    scarri3r

photo1.JPG
    240 x 320 - 40K
    photo3.JPG
    240 x 320 - 38K
  • Top grid will run a little hotter, but I was thinking you could cut them in half and they should fit fine.  I personally haven't done this, but I have done 9 lb butts on my top grid with the placesetter in and had room.  The top butt is usually done about a half hour earlier than the bottoms.  Just make sure to remove the clip on your dome thermometer.  Don't ask how I know this.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• HicHic Posts: 336
    I saw a pic of a guy that wired 2 rib racks together into an upside down "V" and got 10 rack on there. Pretty cool but I can't find the picture now.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,159
    There was a pic on the old forum years ago of a guy that filled a large with ribs in an A10 ammo configuration. Bet he had 12 racks on there

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 4,754
    There was a pic on the old forum years ago of a guy that filled a large with ribs in an A10 ammo configuration. Bet he had 12 racks on there
    I think it was 20! ;)

I still don't get how that worked, but they look good! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
    2014 Wing King's Apprentice