Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many racks?

Hola folks,

Looks like I am on the hook to cook ribs for 10 or so people this weekend.  I have a large egg and usually cook my ribs in a rack using the 3-1-1.5 method.  What is the most number of racks that you guys think I can fit on my egg?  I like the rack because it keeps the ribs separated while cooking.  For the last 1.5hrs I usualy sauce and flip every 15 minutes.

Thanks in advance,

Rajuncajun

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• Do you have a grid extender or any other way of creating a second grid?

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You can do five or six on the vertical holding them apart with wooden skewers.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    I do have a grid extender made from an Old Smokey grill and all thread rod and washers...I usually cook at ~225deg grid temp using my Digi Q.  Wouldnt the upper grill run a little hotter since it is up higher in the dome?
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    another thing I thought of is I have never used the grid extender with the indirect setup.  Is there enough room to use both?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    How many slots are in your rib rack?  I have a V-rack that can be inverted and has 6 slots.  I usually do 3 full racks and cut them in half so they don't hang over the plate setter.  I've seen plenty of people do 6 full racks or more.  You can use foil or a big drip pan to create more indirect space. 

For 10 people I don't think you really need 6 full racks...but I guess it depends how hungry they are :).  I doubt anyone would eat more than a 1/2 slab.  I think 5 would be plenty.  You could put 4 full racks in the center slots and a 1/2 rack in the outer slots to help them fit. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• scarri3r
    scarri3r Posts: 29
    I cook my baby backs in a large roasting pan like Myron Mixon's recipe calls out.  I marinade for 4 hours in the fridge, pat dry and put my rub on.  Then I cook at 250 uncovered in the large aluminum pan.  I place the pan vertically so it can fit in the large egg.  I spritz after the first 30 minutes and spritz every 15 minutes after while they are uncovered.  Total cook time is 2 hours uncovered so they can get some smoke on them.  Then I put some apple juice ( about a cup ) in the pan and cover with foil and cook for another hour.   After that, I use a homemade glaze ( or you can use your favorite bbq sauce ) to coat them and let them dwell in the shell for another 30 mins.  ( shut your vents down for this last 30 mins.  You can fit 2 long racks of ribs in this pan which will probably feed 4-5 people.  Total cook time is only  3 1/2 hours.  2 hours uncovered, 1 hour foiled, 30 mins dwell in the shell.   ( 2 -1 - 1/2 ) method
  • scarri3r
    scarri3r Posts: 29
    Here's a couple pics of them.
    Enjoy,
    scarri3r

• Top grid will run a little hotter, but I was thinking you could cut them in half and they should fit fine.  I personally haven't done this, but I have done 9 lb butts on my top grid with the placesetter in and had room.  The top butt is usually done about a half hour earlier than the bottoms.  Just make sure to remove the clip on your dome thermometer.  Don't ask how I know this.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    I saw a pic of a guy that wired 2 rib racks together into an upside down "V" and got 10 rack on there. Pretty cool but I can't find the picture now.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    There was a pic on the old forum years ago of a guy that filled a large with ribs in an A10 ammo configuration. Bet he had 12 racks on there

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    There was a pic on the old forum years ago of a guy that filled a large with ribs in an A10 ammo configuration. Bet he had 12 racks on there
    I think it was 20! ;)

I still don't get how that worked, but they look good! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.