Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

What are the chances of this working

SandbaggerSandbagger Posts: 977
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picture003.jpg
<p />I bought two perforated pizza pans and screwed them together in the middle and have them setting down in the fire ring. I can rotate the top pan to open or close the holes to some degree. I am wondering if this will better distribute the smoke and heat than a pizza stone or plate setter? [p]I guess I'll find out this afternoon, as six racks, double grids, of babybacks are on the menu. [p]

Comments

• Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,412
    Sandbagger,
    Cool. Let us know how this works out!
    Clay

• Where'd ya find the perf'd pizza pans?

Chris
    Santa Clara, CA
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 15,385
    Sandbagger,
    i wonder if that would work for regulating heat for open dome cooking. i would like to come up with something for cooking a portuguese paella with the dome open

• fishlessman, I gave it a shot yesterday. Three grids: 1st grid on the fire ring with three slabs bback ribs cut in half, 2nd grid elevated with 3 slabs of bback cut in half and 3rd grid elevated above 2nd with a Costco turkey breast roll and drip pan. The egg was loaded.[p]It worked OK, but I am scratching my head wondering if it worked well and I just fumbled through the cook not knowing what to expect or do. [p]I rotated the rib grids (1&2) after one hour. I should have rotated after 40 minutes and keep rotating and flipping ribs thereafter every 40 minutes. Bbacks on grid 1 were a little charred after the first hour, but credit to the perforated pans, evenly charred.[p]I did notice the fire in the lump worked its way to the back of the firebox. Not sure if it was just a result on how I loaded the lump, a bi-product of the pan set-up or the number of times the egg was open. [p]The temperature at grid 1 seemed a little hotter than the two upper grids. I did most of the cook at the 225ish degree range at grid 2 with guru. I had the Maverick on grid 3 and it was close (+/- 10*) to the guru temp, most of the day. The fire was a little hard to control, given how many times (length of time) I opened the egg to rotate, foil and just check on things. [p]The perforated pans did warp a bit. I need to clean them and see how they survived. [p]Overall, I think something like this would work to evenly distribute heat across one grid in the horizontal. I think between the lower grid and one upper grid, there will still be a temperature gradient, dependent on the lower grid's load.[p]I guess the final result is: no body complained about the ribs or turkey: all the ribs were eaten and I have enough leftover turkey for a couple sandwhiches. [p]I may investigate this idea further. Tom[p]