Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I bought a brisket

I wasn't planning on cooking a brisket this week, but I was at Costco and they had USDA Prime packers for $2.65 a lb.  I couldn't pass that up.  Picked up a nice 12 lb'er.  Looks like I'm going to smoke it for dinner tomorrow or Thursday.  It's already making my mouth water...

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    You suck ;)

Don't forget pics.
  • TexasCrane
    TexasCrane Posts: 21
    edited August 2013
    I'll post some pics once it's finished.

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    OMG  - what a steal.  I typically pay around 5 per pound for prime.  Grab them and run

Cookin in Texas
  • Texascrane, what city are you in? They jag them in Austin last week and I wanted to pick one up for Saturday.
  • TexasCrane
    TexasCrane Posts: 21
    edited August 2013
    This was at the Costco in Rowlett. The stores here in Dallas seem to always have packers but I've only seen choice, not prime before.
  • I seasoned the brisket with salt and pepper and put it on this morning at 9am at 300.  Pulled at 6pm.  Not my best brisket, but pretty darn good.  I'm going to be eating brisket sandwiches for the rest of the week.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    Looks great from here.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Looks good from the pics. What did you not like about it?
    What would you do differently?
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    do you foil during the cook? I am going to do my first brisket tomorrow and it sounds like the rib argument as to if you should foil or not. I haven't on anything else during the cook so why start now?

now FTC i agree in a believe in!
  • TexasCrane, what is your secret to getting such a nice smoke ring?  We never seem to be able to achieve that.  I saw those briskets at the Costco on Wm Cannon (Austin) last weekend.  We are planning to go buy one or two tonight if they still have them.  What a deal!!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    TexasCrane, what is your secret to getting such a nice smoke ring?  We never seem to be able to achieve that.  I saw those briskets at the Costco on Wm Cannon (Austin) last weekend.  We are planning to go buy one or two tonight if they still have them.  What a deal!!
    You can sprinkle a little sodium nitrite (cure #1) into the rub (doesn't impact the taste, just creates a smoke ring).  Or you can use lots of oak and keep the brisket surface wet until it hits around 140F where that myoglobin reaction stops.
  • Nola, where do you get sodium nitrate (cure #1)?  By "keep the brisket surface wet" do you mean maybe mist it?  Thanks for the info!  Enjoyed meeting you at Salado.  Will y'all be there next March?
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nola, where do you get sodium nitrate (cure #1)?  By "keep the brisket surface wet" do you mean maybe mist it?  Thanks for the info!  Enjoyed meeting you at Salado.  Will y'all be there next March?
    you too!  You can get it from a number of places on the internet - Amazon,  or here: http://www.butcher-packer.com/

It's known as cure #1, sodium nitrite 6.25%, Prague powder #1, pink salt #1.  Don't get the #2, which has sodium nitrate added - it's for curing stuff that has long cure times like bresaola.  You can make your own cured meats - like corned beef and pastrami - if you get a supply.

We'll be there next March, at least that's the plan.
    edited August 2013
    Ugh. My whole post disappeared.  :((

Trini_in_Ottawa, it's not so much that there was anything wrong with the brisket.  It just came out a little too tender.  I'm very critical of brisket though.  But I'll take tender over the alternative any day though.

Mkline, I don't foil my briskets.  My understanding is that foil helps speed things up.  Because I cook hot, I've never had an issue with a brisket taking too long.  I did a 16 lb'er for 4th of July and I think that one took less than 9 hours.  I definitely FTC though.  Usually for between 1 and 4 hours.

EggObsessed, I'm honestly not sure what my secret is.  I don't put anything but S&P on the brisket (I get it from Penzey's).  I will typically light the egg and then pull the brisket out of the fridge and trim it.  Then I go adjust the vents and come back in and season it.  Then it sits on the counter until I'm ready to put it on the egg - usually another 30-45 minutes for it to stabilize.  I do use mesquite for my smoke so maybe that has something to do with it?

• Nola, thanks for the link.  I am going to order some.  Approximately how much of the sodium nitrite would you recommend adding to one cup of rub?  
    Kelley