Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low and Slow Butt Question

Options
Wanting to try my first overnighter.  If I put a 9# shoulder on a 250 degree egg before I go to bed, approximately how long will it take to get to an IT of 160? I want to plan to get up around that time and foil.  Any guesses?

Comments

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I did one (actually 4 of them) at 200 deg, put on at 10:30 PM.  At 11:30 AM they were about 155 deg, and I opened the vents to raise to 350-400.  I did not foil, hit 200 deg IT at 3:30 and I then FTC'd.  Best PP I ever had - fall apart tender and great bark.  I was following the Elder Ward method on Naked Whiz.  Good luck, but from what I read, it is hard to screw up a pork butt.

For the next one, I will set the temp a bit higher for the overnight - probably 225 or so, I have a new Maverick to alert me if things go "out of spec".

BTW, I cleaned my firebox and laid the fire very carefully, believe it contributed to my success. Used the plate setter and drip pan, suggest you find a way to not have the drip pan sit directly on the plate setter as drippings will burn.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Just curious, but why do you want to foil your Pork Butt? That will speed up the cook time and you generally want to go as long as possible on the egg. The longer you go during th cook the tenderer the pork will be.

I usually cook mine at 225 on the XL, pull them at 190 and let them rest for about 4 hours all wrapped up.

Quick tip about the drip pan on the plate setter. Go to Home Depot and get some heavy duty bolts. Put them on top of thplatesetter and then put the trip pan. It will keep th drippings from burning.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    I agree with Mud Pig.

Foil is a way to speed up cook time if you need it.  Foil is not all good, it softens the bark.  I use it when I have to, but I would not time a cook so I would have the opportunity to use foil.

My rule of thumb is 1.5 hours per pound generally gets me to 195 at a low and slow.   Then its all about temp and tenderness when I finally pull it.
    Cookin in Texas
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Yea boss man, you've got two methods mixed together.  Nothing wrong with foiling, but that is typically for the turbo butt camp. 

Low and slow is just smoke, meat, and time.  

Turbo is generally over 300 degrees and foil to push threw the stall around 160-170.  

Once you get the hang of it, you can manipulate both methods to cook a butt in any time frame you have. That's pretty much what I do, if I have time to low and slow and want to chill, I do.  But if I need to rush a butt, than turbo or nitro that bad boy.  

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Many folks foil during a low and slow cook, but you don't have to by any means. The bark is awesome if you just let it ride nekkid. Plus you don't have to mess with wrapping the butt in foil in the middle of the cook.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Pitmansevensix
    Options
    I guess I was thinking of foiling to stop the smoking at some point. 
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    nah, if you want to reduce the smoke flavor, use less chunks.  Increase or decrease smoke flavor is managed by amount of smoke generating material you introduce.
    Cookin in Texas
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options

@Cookinbob - Very cool idea with the flower pots to get the second rack in there.  Simple, effective and cheap!