Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low Temp Control

Options
New Egger here. What is the best way to stabilize egg for long cook? Everytime I try an all night cook stabilizing at 250-275, I wake up in the morning with a nearly dead fire. Tried to let Egg get up to 450 and bring down to temp, but could never get below 350.
Muskogee, OK

Comments

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Catch it on the way up, start with a cleaned out egg, full load of lump.Start your fire in a couple of places , leave the lid open for the first 5-8 minutes, close the lid . When temp gets approx.50 degrees below target adjust damper to where you think it need to be, let it stabilize a good 20 minutes or more , make further adjustment as needed.My large gets very happy around 250-275 will stay there for hours. Only thing that seems to have an effect is if the wind changes.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    calracefan hit a good point, catch it on the way up.   Just takes practice.   This weekend I lit, brought it up to 220, held there, then bumped up to 300 for what I was cooking.

Also, clean egg, full lump as mentioned above.   When doing a low and slow I will lite, close up, then I may wait for 45 minutes to an hour before I start.   I know I am stable before I load food.

When you open up to load everything in, setting the maverick, etc - you through off the temp with the top open.   If I can get the settings stable for the wind, humidity, charcoal moisture - all those factors - then I can feel good about it returning to stable point.

On an all night, 45 minutes to an hour before meat on.  Then I hang out and watch for 45 minutes to an hour to make sure I am stable.  Any adjustments I feel I need to make, I lightly tap the damper withe ash tool - barely perceptible movement of the air gate.  Or slight adjustment of the top.

When I put brisket or butt on - I do not open the lid until it is at 195 on the Maverick.  Then I start testing and inspecting - the final 10 degree variance is based on toothpick ( or thermapen) insertion or bone wiggle in the case of a butt.

Cookin in Texas