Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which size of BGE shall I buy???

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After much reading, I have decided that I MUST have a Big Green Egg. [p]Problem: Which size to purchase. [p]We are a two family household (2 adults, no children). We love to grill ribs, brats, roasts, and larger cuts of meat. Our concern is that a Small BGE may not be big enough, but a Large may be too big. And, I would hate to purchase a small BGE only to 'outgrow' it as time goes on. One thing I noticed...may people have more than one BGE! Seems like folks have a Large (or X-Large) AND a Small BGE. Why would 2 be necessary? Or, did folks originally purchase a Small BGE then upgrade to a larger BGE? Please advise...I want to 'do it right the first time'. [p]Thanks,
D

Comments

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    D Gross,
    I bought my large in Feb. of this year. We are a family of 4 (myself, wife college age son and college age daughter). The large is perfect for cooking everything from burgers to pizza to brisket and pulled pork (not that you can not do that on a small). I just ordered a small to go with my large because I found that I wanted to make appetizers as well as some baked goods while my main dinner was cooking. I also would like to do chili, soup or stew for lunch during a football Sunday with friends while dinner (brisket or pulled pork or whatever was cooking away on the large. Once you see what the egg can do you will be amazed. I would suggest that you get a large as I have been doing most of my cooking for either just my wife and myself or us and my daughter (my daughter is not a fan of smoked food). Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    D Gross,
    The large will not be too large. Would you worry about buying a weber kettle which would be wider than a large egg? Get the largest size you feel comfortable paying for. You can't do a 14" inch pizza in a small. You can't cook three or four pork butts in a small. You can't cook 6 slabs of ribs in a small. The small can cook a load of food, but some things will require a larger cooker. What about your Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey? What about when the neighbors find out that you have been cooking up some mighty fine food? Then later you can buy a small, :-).[p]As for what you would use two for, I often cook a vegetable in the small at a different temperature than the meat is cooking at in the large. I think the majority of people here who have a large and small bought the large first and the small second. Good luck with your choice![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Second TNWs comments. Have a large and often need more
    space. If for no other reason than to be able to cook two pizzas at the same time! Picking up a small at the Eggtobefest and it is a long overdue addition. Go large and go small later.[p]Dennis

• Bruce Fischer
    Options
    D Gross,
    I bought a medium (my first BGE) a few months ago, already there have been several times that I "realized" I would've been happier with a large. Now I feel pretty sure that I will end up with 3 by next summer (a small and an XL, to "compliment" the medium). I suggest you listen to these guys... Get the large![p]B.F.

• SeattleEgg
    Options
    I agree with everyone that Large is the way to go. I have trouble with just two people if I go for any kind of variety with what I am cooking on my egg. With guests it's a neccesity to have a large.
  • reched
    reched Posts: 18
    Options
    badbluffer,
    A large and a small are the way to go because of different temps and cooking times. I worried too much about buying a large instead of a medium, was glad I did, and then got a small six weeks later. Good decision all around. Listen to the Egg.....

• SmokingInMO
    Options
    D Gross,[p]Would definately go with the large egg. I purchased my large in July of this year and plan on buying a medium shortly. My reasons are the same as other have posted, I want to be able to cook vegetables, bread, etc on the medium while the main dish cooks on the large at a different temp.
  • Luvmyegg
    Options
    D Gross,
    Get the large unless money is an issue. The grid diameter is 18". I very rarely feel like I need more cooking space, but sometimes would like another egg for cooking things at different temperatures at the same time. When I bought mine, there was no XL available. Now that there is, I still find the large sufficient for most everything, and that XL is BIG![p]Barbara

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    Large is the way you want to go.

billyg