Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whats your most anticipated cook

Options

I saw Centex's pork chops last week - did those on Sunday they were fantastic.

Just was the Turkey Breast - its now on my list for my next new things.

Other new adventures:

I want to do baked beans underneath a brisket or pork butt

Cast Iron - I love anything cooked with cast iron - I want to do a flat iron on cast iron.

I am trying to keep track of things that I see here and want to try.   The ideas show up faster than I have time to cook them.

What's your new directions?

Cookin in Texas

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options

Luv to do paellas:

Rice, Paella, Party, Richard Fl

This recipe is to be done the next time I cook paella.

INGREDIENTS:
    Crabs
    Shrimp
    Clams
    Calamari, Squids
    Scallops
    Fish, Cod, Other
    Drumettes, Chicken
    Chorizo
    Asparagus
    Peppadew Red Peppers
    Peas
    Artichoke Hearts
    Onions
    Bell Peppers, Red, Yellow
    Capers
    Black Olives
    Rice
    Saffron
    Dessert:
    Tres Leches Cake
    Flan

Recipe Type: Main Dish, Poultry, Seafood

Tips
    Peppadew is the brand name of sweet piquanté peppers (a breed of Capsicum baccatum) grown in the Limpopo province of South Africa.

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2012/04/05

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1273194&catid=1

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1174114&catid=1

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1193633&catid=1

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I've tried most of my "goal" recipes already; but, like Richard, I've not yet done a Paella and I LOVE paella!  
    The sad thing is I live alone, and rarely (okay, never anymore) entertain.  Paella is one of those dishes, like jambalaya, that you can't seem to make in a small amount for one person nor store and eat over several days, like chili or brisket.  
    So, if anyone wants to invite me over for their paella cook, I'll bring the wine!  
    :D

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Options
    Oh, and Richard, my favorite local restaurant Zucca's has been including both Peppadew peppers, and a jelly made from them, in a lot of their dishes; yum!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    Prime rib and a turkey are number 1 and 2 on my to do list.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    Going to "practice" doing an old fashion turkey this Friday - not spatchcock.
    Raised indirect, brined overnight.
    Also going to bake a cake in a couple weeks - I have never baked in my life, but we have a rum fruit cake that is a national dish in Trinidad, so looking forward to doing that on the Egg :)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Trini, brine 24-36 hours and then leave uncovered in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    On my short list of cooks, and these are not incredibly difficult, just haven't gotten around to trying it on the Egg yet:

Chili
    Braised Beef Ribs
    Turkey
    Meatloaf

and I'm sure there are a few more that I can't think of right now.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    Turkey is wonderful on the egg with or without smoke wood.

I have yet to do a whole packer and I want to do a mojo injected pork shoulder. 225 with no smoke wood. And then burnish the skin at 600.
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options

Trini, brine 24-36 hours and then leave uncovered in the fridge for up to 24 hours.

Ugh! I don't get the bird till Thursday, I will see if I can get Wednesday instead.
    Thanks Egg.
  • Botch
    Options
    Also going to bake a cake in a couple weeks - I have never baked in my life, but we have a rum fruit cake that is a national dish in Trinidad, so looking forward to doing that on the Egg :)
    Okay, would really like to see:
    1.  Pics!  
    2.  The Recipe!
    3.  The story on how you went from Trinidad to Canada, and what you think of the change!  

:-bd

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    On my bucket list are:

1. crown pork rost
    2. paella (as others)
    3. Beef ribs
    4. standing rib roast (again)
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • SickEyeDiaz
    Options
    boatbum said:

I saw Centex's pork chops last week - did those on Sunday they were fantastic.

Just was the Turkey Breast - its now on my list for my next new things.

Other new adventures:

I want to do baked beans underneath a brisket or pork butt

Cast Iron - I love anything cooked with cast iron - I want to do a flat iron on cast iron.

I am trying to keep track of things that I see here and want to try.   The ideas show up faster than I have time to cook them.

What's your new directions?

That's funny...I was just thinking of doing some baked beans under a brisket the next time I cook one! 

I have some pork tenderloins in the freezer that I am looking forward to cooking with some kind of sweet glaze. Also have some turkey legs I wanna try my hand at.

About cast iron...I recently got some and have used them a whole lot since. They come in really handy on the BGE.

And if you see something you like on here, use the bookmark function. It's the little star next to the thread title in case you didn't know  :D
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Suckling pig on the XL is gonna closeout the summer and welcome the start of birdbowl 2014. Go Falcons.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My most anticipated is my next one. A chance to learn something new or improve on a go to. I am wanting to do a suckling pig.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    Ok - yes.  Suckling Pig needs to be on my list.

That is such a party cook.   I can imagine opening up the egg with a Pig on the grill.  With the little ear foils and the footsies on.

That has to be the most motivating post of the week or month.

So, where do you buy a suckling pig?   Is that a Kroger or Safeway item?
    Cookin in Texas
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    boatbum said:
    Ok - yes.  Suckling Pig needs to be on my list.

That is such a party cook.   I can imagine opening up the egg with a Pig on the grill.  With the little ear foils and the footsies on.

That has to be the most motivating post of the week or month.

So, where do you buy a suckling pig?   Is that a Kroger or Safeway item?

We get them 40-50lbs special order from Publix here in Fl.. Takes about a week to deliver to store.

• Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    Botch said:

Okay, would really like to see:
    1.  Pics!  
    2.  The Recipe!
    3.  The story on how you went from Trinidad to Canada, and what you think of the change!  

:-bd

Will do all of the above soon.
    :)
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    im so looking fwd to doing a suckling pig I dream about it I finally found a location that I can buy the pig so I think that I will be doing one on saturday all depends on what SWMBO has to say 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Was just drooling over @aquacops cornish game hens.  Won't happen anytime soon, but can't wait to give them a try.  Also looking forward to chilli, soup and stew season that's quickly approaching.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    bought some small pot pie pans, made some deep dish pizza with them, next up im thinking mini pork pies or a salmon pie
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

@NibbleMeThis Buffalo chicken burgers from last week are high on my to-do list.

Want to try a rack of lamb or cabrito soon.

Need serious work on paella. Tried it once and didn't do so well.

And suckling pig has been added to the list.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Once a year I do goose. At present, there is only one place in town that carries it, and the price is really high. Cheaper to pay for shipment from the Schiltz farm in SD. Don't do it often enough to say I've had one turn out spectacular, but I look forward to each time, and I'm getting better.

I pastrami a corned beef brisket a few times a year. Getting more tender and flavorful each time.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Griffin said:

I have a friend who usually does not eat meat. But he has family members that raise goats, and he makes an exception  when they offer cabrito on the holidays. He says the goat needs to be quite young in order to avoid the very strong flavor older animals have.

There are a few places in town that sell goat, and I've tried making Jamaican curried goat several times. I thought the results were passable, but my wife has declared that if I make it again, she had better be out of town.
  • Botch
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Once a year I do goose. At present, there is only one place in town that carries it, and the price is really high. Cheaper to pay for shipment from the Schiltz farm in SD. Don't do it often enough to say I've had one turn out spectacular, but I look forward to each time, and I'm getting better.

I grew up in South Dakota, and we had goose often.  I haven't had it in decades now, priced it a couple years ago and, oof-dah!  I'll have to track down the Schiltz farm.  

• Griffin
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Griffin said:

I have a friend who usually does not eat meat. But he has family members that raise goats, and he makes an exception  when they offer cabrito on the holidays. He says the goat needs to be quite young in order to avoid the very strong flavor older animals have.

There are a few places in town that sell goat, and I've tried making Jamaican curried goat several times. I thought the results were passable, but my wife has declared that if I make it again, she had better be out of town.
    I had some green curry goat on a beach in Jamaica nd it was the bomb. Would love to be able to make that.

Rowlett, Texas

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    If you look through my posts you can tell I like trying new and different things. Paella is high on the list and probably wins for presentation. 

I am really enjoying using the wok on the egg Szechuan Peppered Calamari & Kung Pao Chicken was a great meal. 

Red Velvet Creme Brûlée was a great dessert that i did for my Valentines Cook

Using new techniques like Adam Perry Lang's herb brush and board dressing I did in Rib roast done like a steak was awesome. 

Tacos al pastor has been one of my most creative cooks, I need to do it again and tweak it to be even better. 

Of course getting a second level like a CGW Two-tier swing rack and loading it up with appetizers is always a crowd pleaser! Stir-fry, Turkey Day and Bedlam Game.... Long time no post.

@Botch I haven't heard anyone else say uff da! on here, I like it! Here is the hotplate in my outdoor kitchen / pergola 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • NautiRogue
    NautiRogue Posts: 118
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I'm interested in doing a goose cook this weekend as a trial run for the holidays.  How do you cook it, gdenby?

gdenby said:

I pastrami a corned beef brisket a few times a year. Getting more tender and flavorful each time.

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    I just procured a suckling pig the farmer will have it for me in 4 or 5 days and I will be doing it whole I'm thinking @250 inderict with plate setter legs up until internal temp of maybe 170 will season with salt and pepper and garlic powder photos to follow 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I'm doing some confit duck legs today and will make cassoulet on Sunday I hope.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Griffin
    Options
    I don't know if its my most anticpated cook, but looking forward to smoking 12 lbs of venison sausage this weekend. Half jalapeno cheese, half regular. Starting at 140 and bumping it 10 degrees every hour until it reaches 155.

Rowlett, Texas