Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First brisket-- help is both needed and appreciated

LarrymacLarrymac Posts: 93
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
Well brisket flat about 5.5#
Thought I should keep it simple.
Will try to maintain 275 temp.
Cooking indirect with plate setter.

Do I need to inject -- if so with what and when?
Should I have a foil pan under the brisket to collect drippings or should there be beef broth and/or beer in the pan?

What temp do you foil?
What temp do you FTC?
How long do you( can you ) FTC?
How long would you anticipate it would take to cook this 5.5 # flat?
Thanks for any advice!
·

Comments

• FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,250
    I'll give you what I think are majority answers around here.

Injecting is not bad but most of us don't do it. Might be a good thing to do with a flat.
    Most don't foil a brisket, but if you do it, wait until at least a meat temp of 160.
    It will be done somewhere between 195 and 205. But it is when a temp probe or toothpick slides in easily that you declare it done.
    You can FTC for 6 hours without any concerns. It can take anywhere from 0.5 to 2 hours per pound. If you cook around 275 you can guesstimate 1 to 1.5 hours per pound.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    ·
  • For a flat I highly recommend the Travis method.
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • LarrymacLarrymac Posts: 93
    Travis method?
    ·
  • Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
    Thanks for the help guys
    ·
    Turned out Great although we ate several hours later than expected as grandson had a little accident --Fell and hit his head and has a nicel Goose egg but evidently should be fine.
    But we ate later than expected. Tasty And much more tender than I ever expected. So for the first brisket I would say it was a success and thanks for all your advice.

image.jpg 2.5M
    image.jpg 1.3M
    image.jpg 1.8M
    ·
  • bbqlearnerbbqlearner Posts: 714

Looks great! How did you do it?

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

·