Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef kabobs

I bought two beef kabobs and attempted to cook them last night.  Temperature was 325 and I turned them every 8 to 10 minutes for 25 minutes.  They just didn't cook well.  Tips were burnt a bit and the middle still a little under cooked.  Vegetables were over and under cooked in spots.  I am wondering if indirect heat would have been better and I cooked them for a longer time.  No pictures as I had to pull them apart and put some of the meat back on.

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Were you raised direct? I find kabobs cooked with a grid on the fire ring tend to burn on the outside while undercooked in the center. IF you weren't raised direct (at the felt line) try that with a dome of 375-450º. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Was the dome closed?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Dome was closed and it was not raised direct.  This is just my first summer with the BGE and I am learning but it was quite the disaster.  I have made some mean chicken fajitas (see picture) but it still lots of trial and error.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    The trick I find with kabobs is cutting the meat to the right size for the temp you want - if the chunks are big, you'll have rare to med-rare, if the chunks are smaller you can get medium, etc. 

I wonder if reverse-sear would work!?
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    The trick I find with kabobs is cutting the meat to the right size for the temp you want - if the chunks are big, you'll have rare to med-rare, if the chunks are smaller you can get medium, etc. 

I wonder if reverse-sear would work!?
    Yes

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• These kabobs were bought at a meat store.  They were big chunks of meat.  I think each kabob weighed almost a pound.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I think I will make my own next time for sure.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    its easier if the meat is on one skewer and the veggies on there own skewer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I'm with @fishlessman. Although they don't look at "pretty" with all the alternating colors and shapes, it's easier to cook if you do meats on one and veggies on the other. Depending on the veggies, sometimes I'll alternate veggies, sometimes each veggie gets their own skewer.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    @skiddymarker - I told your signature as a joke to a team of engineers at work, it's the only group I've gotten a laugh out of.

PS - I like Woody Allen's' take,  "There are 3 type of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't."
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Great idea - meat on one skewer and vegetables on the other!  Thanks!
  • +1 on separating meats and veggies on separate skewers--everything cooks at way different times.  I also tend to have dedicated skewers for each veggie as someone else noted.  You can mix it all together after cooking in the serving platter/bowl.
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    I always separate , there is just too many different levels of cooking. You can cook the veggies how you like and the meat how you like.
    Aurora,OH