Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wicked Good Charcoal

Options
Anyone ever use the Wicked Good Charcoal brand? Looks like they use reclaimed hardwood flooring for wood. Check out the picture. I hope it didn't have a finish on it. I'm not impressed

Comments

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    wow, is that an open door for comments. Search on Wicked Good, find some of the threads. I used to be a WG fanatic -- not any more.
    Cookin in Texas
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Wow. Don't think I would cook with that.
    Southern California
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    I use WGWW all the time, and have never seen anything like that. That is going to lose them some business around here mighty quickly.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    edited August 2013
    Options
    @JohnlnCarolina
    I agree.  When I could get it, I paid premium when not involved on a "pallet buy".
    I actually liked it but, now I'm using Ozark Oak which henapple suggested and I realize that the pieces of OO are more evenly sized.  Works for me anyway.

OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I used to use nothing but Wicked Good and really liked it. But, the new stuff (purple print on the bag) is bad. The chunks are smaller, sparks a lot when lighting, there is a lot of dust & small pieces and it produces more ash. I have one bag left and that will be my last.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    There was definitely a tipping point for WGWW. I haven't been egging too long, but I've used 2 bags of WGWW. One was the best charcoal I've used, by a wide margin. One was absolute crap, took forever to light, tons of small pieces etc. it was bad enough that SWMBO took notice and said that I shouldn't buy anymore.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I still use WGWW for low and slow's, stuff lasts forever on those types of cooks.  I  have a couple bags of Royal Oak that I use for shorter/hotter cooks.

Works well for me.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• FireTower
    Options
    I emailed the company with my concers and a link to this discussion. If they care to respond, I'll post what ever they have to say.
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    I bought two bags at a BBQ competition a few weeks back from a local supplier.  The first bag had so much dust and tiny pieces I took the second bag back to him and traded for BGE.  It must have been 1/4 bag of dust.  
    Long Island, NY
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I have stopped using wgww and now have a bag of kamado Joe.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I'm going to be trying kamodo Joe for low and slow once my bags of good wicked good run out. Gonna try the frontier lump too. Seems like the new wg is pretty bad from what I've been hearing.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    ROCKWOOD ROCKWOOD ROCKWOOD!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Ozark Oak is great. Was able to get my hands on a half pallet a few months ago. Burns so much cleaner than WG. I do agree with YemTrey about WG burning for a long period of time. If you get a chance pick up some Ozark Oak. I'm a fan
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Didn't mean to disagree I am on my phone. If you liked the old wicked good there is a lump on amazon called fogo that has bigger pieces than the old wicked good and burns forever. Its about the same price also about a dollar a pound with the free shipping.
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Ozark Oak - I really wanted to embrace it.  Couple of low and slow core outs - will not use it for low and slow cooks anymore.  It's fine for higher temps.

Rockwood all the way.

Cookin in Texas
  • milesbrown4
    Options
    Royal Oak!  WG lost my business with their "new" lump.  
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Where is @caliking? :)) He is a huge fan of WGWW

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Captpablo
    Options
    Same issue with WGWW, some good pieces in the bag, sparks a lot and the bottom 1/4 is all dust. I bought 200lbs and almost done with it. Prolly won't do it again.
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Options
    How is the Komodo Joe?
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I can't find any ozark oak around me. I have yet to order it, but the best site I found that doesn't rip you on shipping is this place: http://www.firemagicgasgrillguys.com/item_item_466.html

$6.90 flat rate regardless of how many you get (or free over 250). I've never ordered from them, but I will once I'm through with this forrestlump.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    yzzi said:
    I can't find any ozark oak around me. I have yet to order it, but the best site I found that doesn't rip you on shipping is this place: http://www.firemagicgasgrillguys.com/item_item_466.html

$6.90 flat rate regardless of how many you get (or free over 250). I've never ordered from them, but I will once I'm through with this forrestlump.
    Firecraft.com has OO for 10.95 and free shipping over $99.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    @Aviator Don't get him started!

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Don't be a sh!t stirrer @Aviator! :D seems like there have been a few threads about the quality of WG after they ran out of product some months ago.

@FireTower: would be interesting to see what the response to your email is. One of the owners has been known to lurk here in the past, so they may have already read this thread.

Has anyone tried getting OO from firecraft? Looks like a good deal, but lump tends to get beaten up when shipped.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    @caliking, I might not be the best source since i ship almost all my charcaol but i bought 3 bags of OO shipped that appear fine.  I bought from another source, but I've done business with Firecraft in the past: they are reasonable people and shipments are quality. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I can promise when I deliver my lump, it has not been touched...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I don't buy the shipping damage argument.  I've had stuff shipped from halfway round the world with little or no padding that arrived just fine.  I believe that the manufacturer controls the quality and it varies from bag to bag depending on their process.  I wouldn't hesitate to try a brand and have it shipped.
    The Naked Whiz
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    well.. "try" is relative when you're getting long 100lbs  to justify shipping.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks @TonyA and TNW. I will probably buy from Fire Craft to try some then. I was worried about shipping lump based on how I've seen some shippers handle items (see the current Vision Kub thread). I had some lump shipped to me (purchased on Amazon) and the box looked like it had been run over prior to delivery. But that could have been poor packaging on the sender's end.

If anyone knows anything about having lump shipped, its the Whiz, and that's good enough for me.

@henapple - I've heard about your deliveries via levitation after a certain volume of PBR has been consumed. Come on down to Houston and show me!! :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.