Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First brisket-- help is both needed and appreciated

LarrymacLarrymac Posts: 94
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
Well brisket flat about 5.5#
Thought I should keep it simple.
Will try to maintain 275 temp.
Cooking indirect with plate setter.

Do I need to inject -- if so with what and when?
Should I have a foil pan under the brisket to collect drippings or should there be beef broth and/or beer in the pan?

What temp do you foil?
What temp do you FTC?
How long do you( can you ) FTC?
How long would you anticipate it would take to cook this 5.5 # flat?
Thanks for any advice!
·

Comments

• FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,628
    I'll give you what I think are majority answers around here.

Injecting is not bad but most of us don't do it. Might be a good thing to do with a flat.
    Most don't foil a brisket, but if you do it, wait until at least a meat temp of 160.
    It will be done somewhere between 195 and 205. But it is when a temp probe or toothpick slides in easily that you declare it done.
    You can FTC for 6 hours without any concerns. It can take anywhere from 0.5 to 2 hours per pound. If you cook around 275 you can guesstimate 1 to 1.5 hours per pound.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    ·
  • Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 1,017
    For a flat I highly recommend the Travis method.
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • LarrymacLarrymac Posts: 94
    Travis method?
    ·
  • Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 1,017
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
    Thanks for the help guys
    ·
    Turned out Great although we ate several hours later than expected as grandson had a little accident --Fell and hit his head and has a nicel Goose egg but evidently should be fine.
    But we ate later than expected. Tasty And much more tender than I ever expected. So for the first brisket I would say it was a success and thanks for all your advice.

image.jpg 2.5M
    image.jpg 1.3M
    image.jpg 1.8M
    ·
  • bbqlearnerbbqlearner Posts: 739

Looks great! How did you do it?

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

·