Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Smoked almonds

Brined for a couple of hours. Placed in a pan with holes punched in the bottom. Dusted with rub and smoked with hickory for an hour @ 250 dome. Good but I think they can be better. If you have done them what is your recipe?
Edina, MN

·

Comments

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    edited August 2013
    Not smoked almonds, but a great spiced nut recipe. These are the bar nuts from the Union Square Cafe in NYC. Ingredients 2 1/4 cups (18-ounces) assorted unsalted nuts, including peeled peanuts, cashews, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans and whole unpeeled almonds 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh rosemary leaves 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar 2 teaspoons Maldon or other sea salt 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted Directions Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Toss the nuts in a large bowl to combine and spread them out on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven until light golden brown, about 10 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the rosemary, cayenne, sugar, salt and melted butter. Thoroughly toss the toasted nuts in the spiced butter and serve warm.
  • BudgeezerBudgeezer Posts: 523
    @tjcoley we have tried a similar recipe with cashews with great success. Thanks for your input.
    Edina, MN

·
  • Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 1,016
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • I love making these every fall.  I always have a problem with them sticking together.
    ·
  • I made the ones from the Charcuterie book and they were crazy good.  Basically cold smoked raw almonds that are then tossed with EVO and a spice rub.  
    Simi Valley, California
    ·
    @SoCal_Griller can you share some of the details of your cook?
    Edina, MN

·
  • Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,169
    I soak my almonds for about 20 minutes then dust them with a mix of 60% salt 40% cayenne pepper ground up fine in a coffee grinder I use as a spice grinder. Then I sprinkle turbinado sugar letting them get all nice and gooey while roasting them indirect on a raised grid at about 375 until they start to turn a little dark. I keep adding sugar as long as it keeps dissolving then one last sprinkle to give them a nice coarse texture before taking them off. Total time roasting is around 30 minutes. If they are dry too early to dissolve the sugar I sprinkle some water on them.

My wife calls these almond crack because they are hard to stop eating once you start.
    ·

Here is what mine look like just before they are gone.

·
  • revolver1revolver1 Posts: 366
    Were they crisp or soft?  Mine always end up soft.   >:P
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
    ·

Mine are crisp. If yours are soft try soaking them less. I think the reason most people soak is to get the spices to stick but soaking too long is what makes them soft. I found that after grinding my spices to powder in a coffee grinder they stick just fine if I soak for 10 minutes.

·
    Thanks Hungry Joe, I'll give it a try.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
    ·
    Gave it another try last night.  Brined for 1 hour, then allowed to dry, sprayed with olive oil and rubbed with Bad Byron's butt rub.  Smoked with cherry and apple for 1 hour.  Far superior to my first attempt, quite a bit crunchier.
    Edina, MN

·
  • Hey BudGeezer,
    Sorry for taking so long to reply.  Here ya go:

Take 1 pound raw alomonds and COLD smoke for 2-3 hours, depending on how much smokiness you want.

Toss the almonds with:
    • 2 Tbl Veggie Oil
    • .25 Tsp Cayenne
    • .5 Tsb garlic powder
    • 1 Tbl fine sea salt or kosher salt
    • 2 Tsp Chili powder
    • 1 Tsp black pepper
    Then place in a 350 oven to roast, stirring several time for about 10 - 15 minutes.

So Basically: Cold Smoke -> Season -> Roast
    I wonder if you did a Hot smoke if you could then skip the roast...

Simi Valley, California
    ·
    @SoCal_Griller thanks for the recipe.  My attempt last night gave me the smoked crunchy results I was hoping for, I don't have the option to cold smoke yet. :))
    Edina, MN

·
    edited August 2013
    Lets see who agrees.  Sam's has almonds 3 lbs/13.00+,  bulk food has raw almonds for 9.00+.  I'm thinking get the Sam's product and cold smoke them.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
    ·
    I picked up mine @ Costco.
    Edina, MN

·