Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mozza Pizza Dough

Options
Don't know how many people outside the LA area will be familiar with Pizzeria Mozza. It's a pizza restaurant opened and run by Mario Batali and Nancy Silverton, and it's widely considered among the best in the city.  Over the weekend, I made pizza using the pizza dough recipe from the Mozza cookbook, the same they use in the restaurant.  I've been fiddling with different dough recipes for some time now, and this was light years better than any other I tried.  In addition to the typical flour, water, salt, yeast protocol, it included some out-of-the-box ingredients: rye flour, barley malt, wheat germ.  The leavening process was also a touch more involved than others I tried.  The result was a very unusual dough that bubbled and bubbled even as I was shaping it and topping it just prior to putting it in the egg.  The resulting pizza was by far the best I've cooked.  The dough was crispy and chewy and filled with flavor.  I wish I took better photos because these don't really capture the singularity of the dough; still, some pictorial evidence is better than none.  The pizzas shown here are fig jam, mozzarella, arugula, and a drizzle of truffle oil.  I made another version of this using pecorino romano instead of mozzarella and the saltiness of that recipe rendered it better than the ones shown below; alas, I didn't take any pictures.  Anyway, for anyone interested, I highly suggest giving the Mozza dough a try.  The recipe can be found pretty easily with an online search.  

Southern California

Comments

• FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Options
    You really need to work on your circles!!

=))

Just plain jealous!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Did you use the 22 oz of water to 26 oz flour?  Seems like a real high hydration and would be a real soupy dough.  
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options

You really need to work on your circles!!

=))

Just plain jealous!

Felipe
    Haha, so true! Making the dough is one thing. Shaping it is another skill altogether.
    Southern California
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Tjcoley said:

Did you use the 22 oz of water to 26 oz flour?  Seems like a real high hydration and would be a real soupy dough.  

Yes. It's definitely a soupy dough. I ended up throwing another handful or two of flour into the mixer because the dough wasn't pulling from the side of the bowl enough as it mixed. It still came out with a different texture than other doughs I've encountered. I was actually worried that I had screwed it up. But I figured I'd take a leap of faith and throw it in the egg. Contrary to what the admittedly lackluster pictures suggest, it turned out pretty much perfectly.
    Southern California