Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trouble with new lower draft door

Wife purchased some eggseories for my birthday that included a new lower draft door.  Replaced it this past Saturday, just before putting on a Boston Butt for a low and slow cook.  Long story short, my low n slow turned into a turbo cook due to an air gap between and new draft door and the egg. Could not get dome temp below 300 even with draft door closed. I know I can try to flatten out the new draft door where it makes good contact with the egg.  Is there any type of sealant that can be used to close any type of air gap?

Also, when I removed the ceramic fire box, I notice a large crack in the fire box.  Almost to the point to where it is in two pieces.  Do I replace or keep cooking?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    you have air leaking in from somewhere.  Silicone is used to seal the factory lower draft door frame to the ceramic.  It can handle the heat, if you think there are leaks that can be sealed.  You can also have leaks in the gasket. 

However, you should be able to use the DFMT (top vent) to control the temp into the low 200s. 

Insofar as your firebox, if you have the warranty - use it and store the replacement part.  Keep using the broken firebox until it turns to dust.
    Most hardware stores will carry a heat resistant silicon glue. I'd look for clear in case any slops over.

I'd keep cooking on the cracked firebox.  Others will chime in as to whether BGE will send you a new one.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • P_Hop
    P_Hop Posts: 5
    I will look for the heat resistant silicon glue.

As for the fire box, using it until it turns to dust it is.  I purchased my egg used, so I think I am out of luck as far as a replacement goes.

Thanks
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Regular 100% clear silicone caulk works fine.  Just make sure you clean the surface well with a degreaser.
    Is it the factory divide or a crack? I have a buddy with a different brand who nearly shat himself when he cleaned his out for the first time and didn't know that there's supposed to be a divide in it...
    HFX NS
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    I agree with Nsdexter.  Go get some pics and post!
    Also, one dealer told me since I bought my XL from them that they would help me out on my medium that I bought used (if it wasn't a huge issue).  Kinda made me rethink which really hurts when I think.

I guess...
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Clear silicone will work.  One of the eggs I picked up off Craigslist had the same issue.   Removed all the factory silicone and reapplied with some new stuff.  Fixed the fluctuating temp issue.   
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota