Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Butt cook

Options

I know this goes against most of the chef's on the Egg Head forum but I tried something that probably has been done before. I am not sure. I have been a Green Egg owner for over 15 years and have tried all kinds of things including some I learned here. I purchased a gasser this summer, the first one I have ever owned. Infrared type. I took a butt and on the gasser put some really good grill marks and allowed it to seer for about 30 minutes full heat. I took it off the gasser and put it on the Egg with hickory chips for two hours. I finished it up in the house oven at 300 in a roaster, covered,  with a little seasoned water just to keep it from burning. I will have to say, this is the most tender and flavorful butt I have ever done. Worked for me.

chef Jerry  

Comments

• tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    No pictures means...well you know.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    About to become a new egg owner and was under the impression that using an egg for the entire cook was best. What's the theory for all the different heat sources?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • JWhirlwind
    Options
    Cooking anything is all about taste. Tender comes from the low and slow method. I think it is all about the taste you are looking for. I am not into heavy rubs on my meat. I do inject some seasoning into the meat. I have a friend that owns a bar b q restaurant and their method sounds good. After they smoke the hams as most restaurants use, and when it it done, they pull the meat and then add more seasoning to the interior meat and re-smoke it on the pit. 
    That way, all of the meat is seasoned. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    edited April 2015
    Options
    oops.  my bad wrong thread.  carry on.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS