Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got nine for ribeyes on the Large

Options
Hosting  a group of nine on Thursday.  I think that I can get by with 8 ribeyes and can fit them on the LBGE.  I normally pull mine at about 130 ish on the TPen for a nice medium rare.  Will probably have to do some at medium temp for a few folks and am thinking pulling them at 145?  I just want everything to be hot when it hits the table. Haven't done a cook for this large a group and I don't want to screw it up or my dear SWMBO will kill me.  Thoughts?
Milton, GA.

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Hopefully you get a uniform cut on all the steaks. Boneless take up less room if you're concerned about space.   I normally roast direct after the sear, but I'd sear and consider adding the plate setter after searing so that roasting is indirect and more uniform in heating given the quantity of steaks.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You could also do a prime rib.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    You could also do a prime rib.

I like Eggcelsior's idea. A whole ribeye can be too much for one person unless they're a big eater. With the rib roast those who want it cooked it more well done get the end cuts. I love rib roasts off the egg.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • bobmugge
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I do the prime rib rare.  I then slice it per the thickness of the guest.  I have a pot of boiling au jus and drop them in for a matter of 20 to 30 seconds to get them to the medium range for those who with them to be a little less rare.  It has worked great for me.  No one is stuck with an end cut that way.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @cazzy... Like the b&w shot...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    A prime rib for 9 would probably be cheaper per pound than individual rib eyes. Sometimes Costco carries prime grade prime rib for less per pound than publix ribeye steaks.
    Dunedin, FL
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Thanks, I never thought about a prime rib.  If I do steaks, I am thinking about a sear at 700 on the CI. @ragtop99 so you are suggesting the platesetter - I would think a temp of 350 or so for another 4 or 5 minutes.  Any issues with the platesetter cracking?  I could bring it to temp in my gasser.
    Milton, GA.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Another idea is to serve the steaks sliced- kind of family style. That way people can select which pieces they want.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Like this but larger scale...
    Greensboro, NC
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Another idea is to serve the steaks sliced- kind of family style. That way people can select which pieces they want.
    This Idea works too. You can slice and keep them looking "whole", sort of like Peter Luger's does.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'd go reverse sear if for no other reason than controlling the time everyone is ready to eat.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Platesetter should not crack. 

FWIW, When I sear I do it open top.  Once the coals starting go fast around 400*, I open the top while fire continues to grow.   I don't heat the Egg to 700* closed lid.  When I roast I can keep an ok airflow going through the egg since it will be around 300* when I close the lid.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    heres another option, buy them thick and split them like a prime rib, this is the only way i know to get a perfectly cooked end cut

:)>-

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • flynnbob
    Options

Here is the Epilog. Went with Bone-In Ribeyes. Wife went to the store to buy while I was at work.  3 steaks were 2" thick so had to remove the bone and cut in half - Others were a generous 1"....  Seared at 700 - 2 min per side.  I think that this was way too hot for the butterflied as they were a nice medium medium right after the sear.  The others came out perfect after a short roast.  Probably still too hot at 700.  I only have the before pictures as I wanted to get everything hot on the table.  Good cook for all. Did some great potatoes but that is a story for another time.  Did 8 steaks for nine people - 7 guys and 2 gals - Had one bone-in leftover.  Worked out great.

Milton, GA.