Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Deep Dish Pizza

First try at deep dish. Cheated a little bit by using TraderJoe's dough and sauce. Quite good. image

Comments

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Ain't no cheating as long as it done on the Egg. I too have the BGE ceramic deep dish. Not 100" necessary for deep dish on the EGG but woks like a charm.

BTW- tell us what you thought about the dough and sauce, please.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • The dough was fine. Might have worked better if I let the dough come to room temperature. At first I thought the sauce was a bit too salty but upon further reflection it too was quite good. I added both basil and oregano to the top of the pizza before baking. My only complaint about the ceramic dish is the crust stuck in a few places. I'm also not sure the best way to cut a deep dish is.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    I've used the TJ crust quite a bit and it's incredibly sticky. The flavor is good, but it seems really hard to work with. We recently found a NY style pizzeria just around the corner that will sell us a much better dough. If you're going to use the TJ dough don't be shy with the flour.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Thanks for the dough advise. I feel bad by buying dough from a pizzeria. I think I am cheating the owner.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Looks fantastic! I have the BGE brand deep dish ceramic stone too. I like to give it a good coating of Pam and EVOO before placing in the dough. Has never stuck when I've done them that way. :)
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Yeah, I hear you, but I'm sure they'd rather have my $5 for a dough ball than have me give it to someone else. Plus I usually enjoy a beer when I pop in for the dough, so they're not to bad off.

Cheers 
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Thanks Dyal SC, I did add Pam and EVOO but next time will add more.
  • Black Badger, having a beer. Great idea. Thanks for the suggestion.