Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

put her on at midnight

Options
its 10:30 am. 207 deg. the probe goes in like butter. Will it be ok to foil till lunch? First brisket flat on the egg. 6 pounder@ 270
St. Johns County, Florida

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Should be. FTC for 4-5 hours.

Garnerville, NY
  • BobsBGE
    BobsBGE Posts: 99
    Options
    I still haven't tried a brisket but see them at Publix all the time.  Let us know how it turns out.  Might be my turn next.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Nice going! Looking forward to the sliced pics later...
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    came out charred and tough....sigh. think i went to long. ill try again
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    yeah, she looks a little darker than normal.  Sorry it turned out dry... next time!
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    The flats are supposed to be the trickiest cut to smoke, vey unforgiving.  I have made to attempts and the first one was so tough we gave it to the dogs.  The second was better but still not that melt in your mouth brisket.  Keep trying, you'll get the hang of it.  My next one will be a packer cut for sure.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    came out charred and tough....sigh. think i went to long. ill try again

I've only done one flat, using the Travis method. It came out OK, not great, but it was my first brisket. The whole packers I've done have come out much better. I think it's generally accepted around here that flats are quite a bit more difficult. Anyway, don't despair, we all learn from our mistakes and they're probably as important to post about as our victories.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    From my newbie experience and because of expensive brisket ($6/lb in Ottawa) - I use the Texas crutch method after I hit 160 - 170 internal temp.
    I find that both times my briskets came out very moist - the bark was also ok, because I put back on indirect grill to finish off things.
    Foil pan with some beef broth tightly covered with foil till internal of 190 - 200. Take out and place back on indirect grill till around 205 then ftc.