Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

put her on at midnight

its 10:30 am. 207 deg. the probe goes in like butter. Will it be ok to foil till lunch? First brisket flat on the egg. 6 pounder@ 270
St. Johns County, Florida
photo.JPG 107.7K
photo.JPG 107.7K
·

Comments

• robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,750
    Should be. FTC for 4-5 hours.

Garnerville, NY
    ·
  • BobsBGEBobsBGE Posts: 99
    I still haven't tried a brisket but see them at Publix all the time.  Let us know how it turns out.  Might be my turn next.
    Fayetteville, Ga
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,697
    Nice going! Looking forward to the sliced pics later...
    ·
  • MaC122MaC122 Posts: 262
    came out charred and tough....sigh. think i went to long. ill try again
    St. Johns County, Florida
    ·
  • yeah, she looks a little darker than normal.  Sorry it turned out dry... next time!
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
    ·
  • The flats are supposed to be the trickiest cut to smoke, vey unforgiving.  I have made to attempts and the first one was so tough we gave it to the dogs.  The second was better but still not that melt in your mouth brisket.  Keep trying, you'll get the hang of it.  My next one will be a packer cut for sure.
    Simi Valley, California
    ·
  • MaC122 said:
    came out charred and tough....sigh. think i went to long. ill try again

I've only done one flat, using the Travis method. It came out OK, not great, but it was my first brisket. The whole packers I've done have come out much better. I think it's generally accepted around here that flats are quite a bit more difficult. Anyway, don't despair, we all learn from our mistakes and they're probably as important to post about as our victories.
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·
  • From my newbie experience and because of expensive brisket ($6/lb in Ottawa) - I use the Texas crutch method after I hit 160 - 170 internal temp.
    I find that both times my briskets came out very moist - the bark was also ok, because I put back on indirect grill to finish off things.
    Foil pan with some beef broth tightly covered with foil till internal of 190 - 200. Take out and place back on indirect grill till around 205 then ftc.
    ·