Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Serious Barbecue is the greatest cookbook ever.

13»

Comments

• SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,272
    Seriously mis-titled. This forum is a much better treatise (and why wouldn't it be?) on the HOW's and WHY's of barbecue. Lang, by design, addresses BBQ "basics" (his term, not mine) at a high level (around 26 pages) and avoids going into depth (the book is mis-titled in that respect). For instance, his presentation and description of direct vs. indirect BBQ lack's any description of convection, conduction, and radiation heat transfer options. The book is mostly BBQ-related RECIPEs (around 350 pages). One nugget that I do love is "flavor bombs". Here he describes (the type of knowledge that I think the book title infers it will convey) when fat and moisture drip on to the heat source and vaporize, they transform and rise back up to the meat and bring tons of flavor with them. THAT's the type of BBQ knowledge I was looking for in the title, not BBQ "basics" and 350 pages of recipe detail.  
    ·
  • Seriously mis-titled. This forum is a much better treatise (and why wouldn't it be?) on the HOW's and WHY's of barbecue. Lang, by design, addresses BBQ "basics" (his term, not mine) at a high level (around 26 pages) and avoids going into depth (the book is mis-titled in that respect). For instance, his presentation and description of direct vs. indirect BBQ lack's any description of convection, conduction, and radiation heat transfer options. The book is mostly BBQ-related RECIPEs (around 350 pages). One nugget that I do love is "flavor bombs". Here he describes (the type of knowledge that I think the book title infers it will convey) when fat and moisture drip on to the heat source and vaporize, they transform and rise back up to the meat and bring tons of flavor with them. THAT's the type of BBQ knowledge I was looking for in the title, not BBQ "basics" and 350 pages of recipe detail.  

You're right, it's not that kind of book. He has about three pages on the "science" and even there I think he's wrong about the stall. What the book does contain is some fairly long recipes. I think most of these are on his web page.
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·
  • Came today
    ·
  • bicktravbicktrav Posts: 467
    Just got mine too. Haven't cooked anything just yet, but the recipes look pretty incredible. May try the honey ribs this weekend.

Anyone done any of his recipes yet?
    Southern California
    ·
  • Recently recieved the book.  Here is the burger recipe cook:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1156170/friday-night-burgers#latest

and the peach glazed tenderloin recipe cook:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1334204&catid=1

·
    edited August 2013

Recently recieved the book.  Here is the burger recipe cook:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1156170/friday-night-burgers#latest

and the peach glazed tenderloin recipe cook:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1334204&catid=1

Which recipe did you prefer?  The burger looks mindblowing by the way.
    Southern California
    ·
  • Both very good--probably depends on whether you want pork or beef I guess.  I am using his butt recipe this weekend over Labor Day, so will report back on that one.
    ·
  • Although I did not document it, I did the whole mustard rack of lamb last weekend and a guest said it was the beast she had ever had.  I had never cooked lamb before.   :)
    Simi Valley, California
    ·
  • So far, I have used his recipes for pork shoulder and his BBQ sauce.  Both turned out excellent and received a lot of praise.  They are both time consuming but well worth the time in my opinion.

L-BGE | Lusby, MD

·
    So far, I have used his recipes for pork shoulder and his BBQ sauce.  Both turned out excellent and received a lot of praise.  They are both time consuming but well worth the time in my opinion.
    Yeah, all the recipes seems very time-consuming.  Doesn't seem like many are weeknight meals.
    Southern California
    ·
  • bicktrav said:
    Which recipe did you prefer?  The burger looks mindblowing by the way.
    I did the peach-glazed tenderloin recently.  The result is here:

It was ridiculous.  
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·