Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

XL lump consumption

CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,679
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
Cooked 3 large butts in the XL:

Didn't do turbo because I had the time and prefer the lo-n-slow bark. Started with lump carefully arranged about half way up the fire ring. Dome temp 250 and 21 hours later, undisturbed lump bed looks like this:

slightly lower after I stirred thoroughly to drop the ash and compact the lump:

all scooped out, could have gone another 21 hours?
canuckland
·

Comments

• Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,449
    I keep tell'en them, but they don't listen.  Great post.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,052
  • rholtrholt Posts: 368
    I have made that same observation. Love my XL
    ·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,679
    bumped for @Cloom
    canuckland
    ·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,544
    This tells me I have to find better lump.  Unfortunately I still have about 90 lbs of Frontier.  First bag was great, stocked up for the winter, and now not so good.  I have too many small pieces, it burns faster than it should.  No Rockwood dealers around here, though I am working on my BGE dealer.  I guess I am back to RO.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,679
    I use RO, Maple Leaf and Basques, not sure which brand was used for this cook. As you can see they were fairly small pieces but I did pack them tight and also had larger pieces at the bottom.
    canuckland
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,520
    I've experienced the same with my XL.  If I load it up with lump, I can get several low and slow's and some chicken/burger/steak cooks out of it.

Absolutely love my XL.
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 2,056
    I haven't done a low and slow on my XL, but I've been pleasantly surprised with lump consumption for direct cooks.

The size of the XL allows me to only light one side of the charcoal and use the other dude for cooler temperatures. My medium us either direct or indirect, but XL can be both. It's especially nice because my kitchen only has one oven, the egg helps keep the kitchen cool.
    ·
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 566
    I shake my head every time i do a 15hr+ cook .. how is that possible!? I'm eager to cook a butt overnight, a load of ribs, then tune it up for some wings.  I am 100% positive it wouldn't be an issue.
    ·
  • That's cool.  It looks like enough lump left to fill a large.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·