Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time brisket tonight.

I just had to try my hand at a brisket. Also first time with a Digi Q. I know I should have done a more forgiving pork shoulder first but no pressure, no company coming or anything like that. Anyway, things started well and may still be well. The pit temp has stayed at 225 but initially the dome was at about 240 (which is about what I expected) and now it's below 200. Once again, the pit temp is staying at 225 and the fan isn't doing much. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Drewdlc17
    Drewdlc17 Posts: 124
    How big is the cut? Are you in a hurry? If its not a huge brisket and your not in a hurry I would let it ride at 225.
  • ncmoose
    ncmoose Posts: 10
    Just shy of 8 pound. No hurry. I just couldn't reconcile why the dome temp has dropped below 200 but my pit prob is staying steady at 225. I'm cool if it's accurate.
  • Drewdlc17
    Drewdlc17 Posts: 124
    Could be a few things. Your coals could be burnt down. If they are pull the brisket and add some large chunks of lump until they are burning good and your temp is where you want it. It should only take a few min to do so. Then you can put the brisket back on. Could also be that all of the lump is small. Typically from the bottom of a bag. All the small lumps won't let to much oxygen to the fire and results in lower temps. You can add one big lumps or open up the vents a little. Also, I have noticed with my Egg if the weather is muggy and no breeze is blowing it will cook at lower temps.
  • ncmoose
    Came off pretty well. 8 lb packer, put on at 8 pm. Figured it would be about 12 hours. Guru read a steady 225 grill temp although dome temp was reading about 200 (?). Checked at 4:30 am (puppy had to go out) and meat was at 160. Plateaued there until almost noon (!). Last hour and a half went from 170-193. Was iffy on the probe and fork test but at 17 hrs I took it off, foiled, towel and cooler for 2 hrs. Bark was only so-so. Meat on the point was pretty close to perfect. Flat was not as tender as I'd hoped. Taste is great. (Did some apple and hickory chunks)

I do think next time I will up the temp.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    My planning guideline for a packer at that temp is 2 hours per pound.
    Cookin in Texas
  • ncmoose
    Well, that was about right then. I guess I was thinking 1 1/2 hr/lb.