Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moisturizing pulled pork

My daughter is extremely allergic to apples of any kind, including apple wood smoke. She wants me to do a BBQ for a bunch of her friends.
Now I've been using a mix of apple juice, rub, and apple cider vinegar to moisten my pork for years.
She has asked me to please use something other than apple. I am thinking maybe pineapple or cherry but I'm not sure how the flavors would be.
What other ideas do you guys have?
LBGE
Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA

Comments

• billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Are you asking about moisturizing during the cook or adding moisture after the pork is pulled?
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    After the pork is pulled
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Dr pepper
    Dunedin, FL
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    I use cherry wood all the time for my pork smoking. 

I'm not sure what you mean by moisturizing after you pull it though.  I just serve it up and it is plenty moist. 

Are you referring to a sauce to put on it?  If so, you could try a S. Carolina mustard recipe or BBQ sauce.  You can put cole slaw on it also if it is that dried out and that will moisten it up some.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • I have never trimmed the fat.  If you keep plenty of fat and only trim it prior to serving the meat is plenty moist.  Never used any juice or such.  My opinion only.  Good luck.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    It puts the lotion on..Sorry, you know somebody was gonna say it. :D

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    After the pork is pulled
    I always catch the drippings so I can add them back after separating the fat.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited August 2013
    I 'm a big fan of using Coca-Cola to the tune of 12 oz to say 3 or 4 pounds of pulled pork. Be sure it is the real stuff, not the diet and none of the flavored Coke products and never ever Pepsi! Key is to not tell your guests as they will wrinkle up their noses. Trust me it works magic and there is no sweet taste left behind! Oh...another thing...brace yourself for the accolades!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    Vinegar, red pepper flakes, and sugar :) . Sorry. My eastern nc roots coming through!

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• you have Dr Pepper and coke a cola I was in a pinch one time used mt dew and my rub, Cooked a whole pig and on the shoulders rub and dew they were gone as soon as I took them off and shredded them, lots of over things to use than apple juice. my 2 cents.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I inject with Butcher BBQ's pork injection using Dr. Pepper as the liquid for the mixture.  After the pork is pulled I spray it with warmed up Dr. Pepper and hit it with a little more rub.  No one has ever complained.  Must be those 23 flavors. ;)

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,865
    I'm really pretty confused about all this, as my PP tends to be fairly moist just after it's pulled. I guess different folks just have different preferences for just how moist this stuff is. Regardless, I am wondering who thought adding Dr. Pepper would be a great idea.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited August 2013
    I'm really pretty confused about all this, as my PP tends to be fairly moist just after it's pulled. I guess different folks just have different preferences for just how moist this stuff is. Regardless, I am wondering who thought adding Dr. Pepper would be a great idea.
    Yes sir.  Yours mine and everyone else's is moist right after it's pulled.  I do it to mine if people don't get to it right after it's pulled, or before they start coming back for seconds.  Once you crack that bark and pull it the drying starts due to all that exposed surface.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Drewdlc17
    Drewdlc17 Posts: 124
    Coke, Dr Pepper, pineapple are good choices. You can also use Orange juice. A lot of good Mexican restaurants make fresh Carnitas are using pulled pork simmered in orange juice.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,865
    BOWHUNR said:
    Yes sir.  Yours mine and everyone else's is moist right after it's pulled.  I do it to mine if people don't get to it right after it's pulled, or before they start coming back for seconds.  Once you crack that bark and pull it the drying starts due to all that exposed surface.

Mike

Yes I understand it will dry out over time. I think it's still plenty moist when folks are heading back for seconds. In any case, I would just never think to spray it with soda. I'm not saying it's a bad idea - if it works it works.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Chicken broth does a great job without adding oR messing up flavor.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    I never add anything but a little homemaid sauce or cole slaw. But, I'll try Dr. Pepper next time

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    I have used chicken stalk mixed with the rub I use, then inject. Peach wood for the smoke. This combination has won several competitions.
  • BobsBGE
    BobsBGE Posts: 99
    RRP said:
    I 'm a big fan of using Coca-Cola to the tune of 12 oz to say 3 or 4 pounds of pulled pork. Be sure it is the real stuff, not the diet and none of the flavored Coke products and never ever Pepsi! Key is to not tell your guests as they will wrinkle up their noses. Trust me it works magic and there is no sweet taste left behind! Oh...another thing...brace yourself for the accolades!
    Do you inject the pork prior to cooking or do you use the coke as a spray during the cook?
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

What about pears?  Pear wood and pear juice.  Just use white vinegar (about half of what you would normally use with cider vinegar.) 

If she's allergic to Pears as well, then go peach.  Peach wood and peace juice.

Peach, Pear, and Apricot seem to be the new "apples" out on the BBQ circuit from what I've seen.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    BobsBGE said:
    RRP said:
    Do you inject the pork prior to cooking or do you use the coke as a spray during the cook?
    No injection nor spray...the Coke is used when reheating previously pulled pork.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • So, I ended up testing several things, Peach Juice, Pear nectar, Pineapple juice, and Dr. Pepper.
    Went with a 20 oz Dr Pepper with 2 tbs Dizzy Dust and 2 tbs Brown Sugar to re-heat 12 lbs of pulled pork. I liked the Dr Pepper the best with peach a close second. If I'm doing it for myself I'd go back to apple juice but when someone has allergies Dr pepper is a good substitute
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    Interesting.  I guess I might have to give it a try sometime.  I actually have a few pounds leftover from yesterday.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570

What about pears?  Pear wood and pear juice.  Just use white vinegar (about half of what you would normally use with cider vinegar.) 

If she's allergic to Pears as well, then go peach.  Peach wood and peace juice.

Peach, Pear, and Apricot seem to be the new "apples" out on the BBQ circuit from what I've seen.

I use peach and apricot a lot for chicken and fish.   Haven't tried them on pork yet, but I could see a good apricot based sauce being made if traditional BBQ sauce is not being served.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • I'm thinking the use of beaver testicles in dr. pepper must be the key?? :D
  • Interesting article about apple allergy:  Apple Allergy?  Apparently if you were to cook the mixture of apple juice, apple cider vinegar and rub, there would be no problem.
    The Naked Whiz
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I don't pull it until everyone is in the kitchen with a plate in hand, so they all get the mostest moistest pieces.  I like to portion it up afterwards in quart freezer bags with the air sucked out.  I drop the sealed bag into simmering water.  After it warms up, I open the steaming bag and it is still as moist as the first pull.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • 500 said:
    I don't pull it until everyone is in the kitchen with a plate in hand, so they all get the mostest moistest pieces.  I like to portion it up afterwards in quart freezer bags with the air sucked out.  I drop the sealed bag into simmering water.  After it warms up, I open the steaming bag and it is still as moist as the first pull.
    +1, but if I do need to add anything, it's Blues Hog TN Red.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    All I have ever used is water with some vinegar in it!
    Duncan, SC