Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Way OT: anyone familiar w a Sig P938?

2»

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Hoping you guys don't carry at Salado. Now I'm worried.  ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Griffin said:

Hoping you guys don't carry at Salado. Now I'm worried.  ;)

The only time I don't carry is on ft hood. Not really. I always carry since that Muslim terrorist shot up this guys across the street from my office.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Griffin
    Even when drinking?

Rowlett, Texas

• travisstrick
    Griffin said:

Even when drinking?

Good call. I do disarm when drinking.
  • Griffin
    :-bd good thinking.

Rowlett, Texas

• travisstrick
    Here is my normal carry piece. Kel Tec PF-9 green ceracoated with a custom made matching kydex strong side IWB holster. 

imageimage
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Here is my normal carry piece. Kel Tec PF-9 green ceracoated with a custom made matching kydex strong side IWB holster. 

imageimage

You got the green all wrong, buddy. Its got to be BGE green. :))

Nice, SSG.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Aviator
    henapple said:
    I love the look of a Kimber... Nice piece. @Aviator... When you coming back to the Boro?

Sept 6, 7.

Will you be home? Can bring a whole Tandoori chicken.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Aviator
    edited August 2013
    My favs are, of course the Kimber, then my XD SC9 which lives in my truck. She is wicked quick and always hot.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:

My CCW instructor gave me hell about my Hk P30... More expensive, yes but I carry it... Not collect them. I love 1911's but not for carry.

I wish I could find my grandfather's WWII 1911. I think his brother has it.
  • Aviator
    My CCW instructor gave me hell about my Hk P30... More expensive, yes but I carry it... Not collect them. I love 1911's but not for carry.
    I wish I could find my grandfather's WWII 1911. I think his brother has it.
    I can work with you on a plan...

Chattanooga, TN.

• Aviator
    edited August 2013

The 1911 on a Kydex rig is an easy carry esp in winter. It is an excellent weapon and very accurate with almost no FTFs. At least that has been my experience.

Also will mention the 'ole Beretta M9 that we Officers carry. Its a fine weapon but cumbersome, very accurate for me and never let me down. Am sure glad I had it when I had to use it. Poor range, carried an M4 as well.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Drewdlc17
    Drewdlc17 Posts: 124
    Buy a Kimber it's worth it. If you don't agree go shoot one. This is my Tactical Ultra II .45. Its small any very smooth to fire. Glock is a great gun to but if you have kids around the house many of them don't have a safety.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Bersa Thunder 380 cc is nice for the price, but, where I live, you have to be threaten/attacked more than once documented with multiple police reports before they will consider giving a law-abiding citizen a CCP all in the name of "public safety" in a state that has major city with one of the highest murder rates in the country.
  • Aviator
    @Drewdlc, you need to invest in some Wilson Combat mags. Kimber mags have issues.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited August 2013
    Drewdlc17 said:
    Buy a Kimber it's worth it. If you don't agree go shoot one. This is my Tactical Ultra II .45. Its small any very smooth to fire. Glock is a great gun to but if you have kids around the house many of them don't have a safety.
    No Glocks have a safety in the same sense as a 1911.   Glock is my work horse, but I'd love a Kimber or a Para.  And, if the safety is necessary for child safety, you've missed a few steps.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Love my Glocks, just wish they would come up w something a lil more compact.
  • jetmech
    jetmech Posts: 75
    I have a 938 Nightmare. Love the gun and a great shooter for it's size. Had a LC9 prior to it, keyword had. FME the smaller, lighter poly framed pistols are a little less accurate and when that was coupled with the mile long trigger pull on the LC9 I was better off just throwing it at the target. I had about 0 confidence in the gun. First trip to the range with the 938 I brought the LC9 with me and it was night and day difference in quality and accuracy. I am a bit biased though having several other sigs but once the temps drop and jeans come back out the 229 .40 goes back on the hip unless it's a business outing and I need a bit smaller piece to conceal and not spook the company. Also traveling quite a bit the 938 packs nicely and doesn't take up much space in the suitcase. I think the night sights are also the brightest I have ever seen. BTW I know a few cops too, actually lived with one for the first 18 years of my life and he happened to be on the firearms committee of a large metro department and certified armor for four or five different manufacturers. He didn't hesitate to pass along his wealth of knowledge ;)
  • Lowflyer
    The gun store I'm going to tmrw has 4 Sig .938 avail, bad news is I don't think they have the Nightmare. We shall see. I'm excited about bringing a new weapon into the hacienda.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

I prefer Glocks over everything else for home or the car.  I've have/had XDs, Kimbers, S&W's, Steyrs, etc and the Glock has always been the most reliable and accurate.  Suppressed G19 Gen4 with a Streamlight TLR-1HL....awesome combo.

Unfortunately, the Glock is way too big for me to CCW.  I am big into Kahr Arms for sub-compacts.  The P380 and PM9 are two very well built and reliable pocket guns.  I started out with KelTecs, moved to the Ruger LC series, a S&W 342 & Taurus 709 for a while, before finally going to Kahr PM9 & P380.  Reliability, accuracy, and comfortable to shoot.

They're 2-3x the price of a KelTec, but worth it to me.  Kahr's CM series is their "economy" series and will save you $150-200, but I would rather have the few machined parts vs. the MIM'd ones.  And Kahr's have a break in period--200 rnds minimum before they run flawlessly.  They have excellent customer service and a lifetime warranty if you encounter anything after the break-in period.

In regards to your original question about the 238, I don't like it.  I do not like SAO and carrying in "condition 1" with a external manual safety engaged.  They have already had a recall over that safety.  Safeties are mechanical--they can and WILL fail.  If you're going to carry "cocked and locked" like you should, you are putting all your faith in that safety.  On a Glock, XD, Kahr, or any other high quality modern semi-auto, you're going to be carrying "half-cocked" with 2-3 internal & automatic safeties making it IMPOSSIBLE for the firing pin from coming in contact with the primer.  Not the case on a 1911 or SAO style gun--which is why I would never carry one (or any gun with an external/manual "safety".)  Look at the stats on gunned down police officers that were found with their service weapon drawn, but the safeties still on--or the amount that had negligent discharges and "thought the safety was on".  There's a reason pistols w/ manual safeties have been banned from most departments.

Of course, I still subscribe to the belief you should never bring a pistol to a gun fight......  :)

NRA Pistol Instructor, NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Life/Endowment Member, Missouri CCW Instructor

• Lowflyer
    @ stlcharcoal, thanks for the insight. I agree w the safety issue. Currently I carry my .238 loaded (hammer down) safety off. If Glock would just slim down their 26 & 27 this convo would be over.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    My Hk has an eleven lb pull and a 6 after. That's my safety. Practice has made that first squeeze comfortable. If most occurrences happen within a few feet I don't want the extra step. On a side note... I hate "Blocks".
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Lowflyer said:
    @ stlcharcoal, thanks for the insight. I agree w the safety issue. Currently I carry my .238 loaded (hammer down) safety off. If Glock would just slim down their 26 & 27 this convo would be over.

That still might not be safe if it doesn't have a drop safety.

Is the firing pin blocked from the primer?

Can the hammer still strike the firing pin from shock?  The old revolvers used to have a "safety notch" that kept the hammer from resting on the firing pin, or being able to slammed forward into the pin, thus causing a negligent discharge.  In the early 80's a "notch" failed and someone got shot, they had a massive recall.  S&W, Colt, Ruger, etc installed "transfer bars".  The hammer struck the transfer bar, which transferred the strike to the firing pin.  The trigger was linked to the bar, so if the trigger wasn't pulled, the transfer bar was not between the hammer and pin, and thus couldn't fire.

If you do carry that 238 in "condition 1" (cocked and locked), is there anything protecting the firing pin, or is it exposed?  It could get struck accidently from something foreign, or something could get wedged in there preventing the hammer from contacting the firing pin.

Sig makes fine guns, and I'm sure the 238 is one of them.  There's just a few things on that pistol that are different that what I would look for in a CCW gun or service weapon.  Most police depts. have done away with external safeties, and gone to striker fired guns with drop safeties in retention holsters.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Not to confuse a de-cocking lever with a safety on double/single action pistols.  I find a Glock 26 quite easy to carry.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys