Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some brisket help

R3K
R3K Posts: 52

So I'm attempting my first brisket (approx.9 lbs I think) on the Egg and got it on a little late (noon here on the west coast).  Don't have time for a 10+ hour cook.  I've got the Egg churning along at about 275 degrees, cooking indirectly, and have the IT at about 164 so far. Questions are:

1. What internal temp should I be shooting for to know it's done?
  2. Is it better to just do the whole cook indirect (I'm cooking indirect as I type) or should I foil it and leave it on for a couple extra hours in the foil to ensure it's nice and juicy?

As I said, the meat is on the grill so immediate answers will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance fellas!!!!

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I'd keep it indirect no matter if you wrap it or not...

You can probably bump the dome to 300-325 to help it along. Do you have a thermapen or a maverick for checking temps?
  • It gets done somewhere between internal temp of 195-205. Check for tenderness, that's how you'll know.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    And shoot for 190-200F finished temp. A toothpick should slide in and out like buttah when it's ready. Good luck!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • R3K
    Sounds good fellas, thanks!  Doesn't matter if I cook indirect to 190 or should I foil it at some point?
  • R3K

Well, the brisket didn't turn out at all like I had anticipated.  I'm open to all suggestions on how to do it the next time.  Here's what I did this go 'round.

- put in the Egg and cooked at 250-275 for about 6 hours indirect

- pulled it at 190 degrees, FTC for about a half hour until the other items were ready

- cut into it and it was slightly over cooked.  No pink at all, and kinda dry.

After it sat for a few, it got really tight, really quick.  I was surprised to see that it was overcooked when it took all day to get to 190 degrees, but I've read where some of you haven't pulled your brisket until it was over 200 degrees, and you cooked it even longer.  I'm kinda at a loss as to what I did wrong, but I'm not giving up.  I suspect that my issue was that my brisket was mostly flat (I think), but I'm not 100% on that because I'm still learning how to recognize the different cuts of meat.  Suggestions?

• I have only done 2 briskets, but both turned out pretty good p, even though the 2nd one was a wild trip! :)
    Ok so a couple things - when your brisket hits an internal temp between 160 and 170, it will hit the stall. At this time I put into a foil pan with some beef broth and cover with foil and leave until internal temp hits 190, then take off and put back on grill (all indirect) till 200 - 205. Then ftc (double wrap in foil, then wrap in towels, then put in cooler) for at least 2 hours.
    Both briskets were very moist using this method.
    Hope this helps.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    You don't pull a brisket until it is tender. As others said, this is usually between 190 and 205. I use a fork and insert it and give a twist. If it twists easily, it is done.

This isn't a steak, so it won't be pink inside.  6 hours seems very short even at 275 degrees.  I usually cook at about 250 and it takes about 1.5 hours/pound.

Also, you didn't say whether this was just a flat or if it was a packer cut with both flat and point.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA