Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Memphis ribs by Pam Lolley

In the June 2013 Southern Living magazine is a recipe for Smoky Sweet Ribs.
 http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/ultimate-smoky-sweet-ribs-50400000128267/

Turned out very good.  My wife made the rub, mop, and sauce following the recipe.  I followed the instructions, including foiling the ribs with the mop after 3.5 hours, for another hour or so.  Very tender and sweet with some heat!

Dave
no, not -that- one!
KI4PSR

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    These look great!  Man I'm itching to cook some ribs.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Thanks John!  Cooking ribs on the BGE is my favorite.  I was really pleased how well these turned out, way different than my normal ribs.  It was great to have my wife make the rub and all from fresh stuff!  I have a second batch of ribs on the BGE right now using a different rub and sacue and technique.  I'm planning on bringing a sampler platter in to work Monday.

Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869

Thanks John!  Cooking ribs on the BGE is my favorite.  I was really pleased how well these turned out, way different than my normal ribs.  It was great to have my wife make the rub and all from fresh stuff!  I have a second batch of ribs on the BGE right now using a different rub and sacue and technique.  I'm planning on bringing a sampler platter in to work Monday.

Dave
    A sampler plate you say?  Man your coworkers are going to love you.

I've bookmarked the recipe you posted.  Looks easy - definitely worth a shot.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Thanks Dave, bookmarked. How does it compare with SBR?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• The second batch of ribs was made to be dryer and tangy-er.  Tender but with more bite, not as sweet or hot but with more delicate nuances of flavor.  "Neighbors By Choice" rub and sauce is truly excellent, I plan to replenish my stock next Saturday at the farmer's market in Brentwood, TN. 

Both ribs cooked today are the best I have ever made, the BGE was kept at 230 for the entire time.  I added more lump after the first batch and allowed a half hour for things to clear and stabilize.  It is so amazing how the BGE keeps a steady temp with only rare, minor adjustments.  I have been cooking 11 hours today and I am ready for a shower!

Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR

• A sampler plate you say?  Man your coworkers are going to love you.

With the help of a co-worker bringing in chips, potato salad and beans, I feed a full meal to 9 at work, the full staff at the time (normally 10).  They liked the smokey sweet the best, and so did I.  I think I didn't treat the second batch as carefully as the first with respect to rub density, cooking time, and sauce application.

Dave

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR