Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s time to kick back, relax and enjoy the aromas of fresh smoked meat as we sail towards summer. Not sure what to smoke? Try Down & Dizzy Pork Shoulder or Smoked Spanish Chicken. Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Memphis ribs by Pam Lolley

In the June 2013 Southern Living magazine is a recipe for Smoky Sweet Ribs.
 http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/ultimate-smoky-sweet-ribs-50400000128267/

Turned out very good.  My wife made the rub, mop, and sauce following the recipe.  I followed the instructions, including foiling the ribs with the mop after 3.5 hours, for another hour or so.  Very tender and sweet with some heat!

Dave
no, not -that- one!
KI4PSR

Comments

• These look great!  Man I'm itching to cook some ribs.  
    Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand.

Durham, NC
  • Thanks John!  Cooking ribs on the BGE is my favorite.  I was really pleased how well these turned out, way different than my normal ribs.  It was great to have my wife make the rub and all from fresh stuff!  I have a second batch of ribs on the BGE right now using a different rub and sacue and technique.  I'm planning on bringing a sampler platter in to work Monday.

Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR

• Thanks John!  Cooking ribs on the BGE is my favorite.  I was really pleased how well these turned out, way different than my normal ribs.  It was great to have my wife make the rub and all from fresh stuff!  I have a second batch of ribs on the BGE right now using a different rub and sacue and technique.  I'm planning on bringing a sampler platter in to work Monday.

Dave
    A sampler plate you say?  Man your coworkers are going to love you.

I've bookmarked the recipe you posted.  Looks easy - definitely worth a shot.  
    Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand.

Durham, NC
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,405
    Thanks Dave, bookmarked. How does it compare with SBR?

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

• The second batch of ribs was made to be dryer and tangy-er.  Tender but with more bite, not as sweet or hot but with more delicate nuances of flavor.  "Neighbors By Choice" rub and sauce is truly excellent, I plan to replenish my stock next Saturday at the farmer's market in Brentwood, TN. 

Both ribs cooked today are the best I have ever made, the BGE was kept at 230 for the entire time.  I added more lump after the first batch and allowed a half hour for things to clear and stabilize.  It is so amazing how the BGE keeps a steady temp with only rare, minor adjustments.  I have been cooking 11 hours today and I am ready for a shower!

Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR

• A sampler plate you say?  Man your coworkers are going to love you.

With the help of a co-worker bringing in chips, potato salad and beans, I feed a full meal to 9 at work, the full staff at the time (normally 10).  They liked the smokey sweet the best, and so did I.  I think I didn't treat the second batch as carefully as the first with respect to rub density, cooking time, and sauce application.

Dave

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR