Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Saturday Smoke

Just got back from Shady Maple... With a 15# Choice packer. It's the smallest one they had in the case, biggest was almost 19 pounds!
·

Comments

• FoghornFoghorn Posts: 1,980
    Keep us posted.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,024
    Foghorn said:
    Keep us posted.
    LOL... of course. I will have pictures added a little later on documenting the cook getting started; and then it coming off the tracks later today as the cook enjoys his adult beverages :)
    ·
    Here's the first update... As I finish my coffee and debate what's next.

Started with a completely cleaned egg. No signs of any damage except the fire box. The brisket was 15lbs pre trim. I have never taken that much fat off of one before. Probably 3lbs or more. There was on hunk between the point and flat that must have been 2" thick. Sea salt, coarse black pepper, and onion powder. Oak for smoke.

Going slightly turbo LOL. Grate is currently at 282 and the IT is at 93.

Lets see where the day takes us...

imageimageimageimage
    image.jpg
    1440 x 1440 - 786K
    image.jpg
    1440 x 1440 - 617K
    image.jpg
    1440 x 1440 - 558K
    image.jpg
    1440 x 1440 - 634K
    ·
  • Looking good!
    What ratio do you use for you salt, pepper, onion rub?
    ·
  • WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,252
    I'm jealous- need to do another one soon
    Greensboro, NC
    ·

Looking good!
    What ratio do you use for you salt, pepper, onion rub?

50/50 on the S&P and then just a lite dusting with the onion.
    ·
    Currently the grid temp is 297 and the IT is 143
    ·
    Grid is 304 and the IT has climbed to 153 in about 30min

Interesting.
    ·
  • I got a brisket going today too. Actually, it's been done and FTC for like 3 hours now and it's like 4 more hours till we eat. Sucks!
    ·
    On to stick number two... And some Titos and ice tea. Decided to try something; once the IT reached 160, I opene the vent a little and got the grid to 320-325 to see if it will ease it thru the stall slow and steady like in a turboish fashion. The IT is now 164 and the grid is 324

image.jpg
    1440 x 1440 - 839K
    ·
    @TheCenTexSmoker

Is it possible to beat the stall without wrapping? Grid is at 336 and my IT is now 181, slow and steadily rising. Could it be due to the amount of fat I trimmed off? Going to do some spot checks with the thermapen shortly
    ·
    Doesn't seem like it'll be long now. The temp in most of the flat is around 195. Just checking for tenderness.

image.jpg
    1440 x 1440 - 1M
    ·
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 1,980
    That's a good-looking hunk of meat.  What should I bring to dinner?

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·
    Foghorn said:

That's a good-looking hunk of meat.  What should I bring to dinner?

Thanks

Probably an appetite... And maybe some slaw LOL
    ·
  • KoskoKosko Posts: 535
    Wow!!! That looks killer! I hope it tastes as good as it looks! My guess is it will!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
    ·
    Kosko said:

Wow!!! That looks killer! I hope it tastes as good as it looks! My guess is it will!

Thanks! The few slices I had before I FTC it tasted pretty good.
    ·
  • KoskoKosko Posts: 535
    I have cooked 1 brisket (flat) since I have owned my egg ( 1 yr) . I totally screwed it up. I have been scared to cook one since! But you brisket gives me hope Hap!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
    ·
    Kosko said:

I have cooked 1 brisket (flat) since I have owned my egg ( 1 yr) . I totally screwed it up. I have been scared to cook one since! But you brisket gives me hope Hap!

Even the ones that I've thought sucked were devoured by family and friends. We are always our own worst critics. Get another one and get back in there!
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,646
    Looking good. Good choice picking the smallest brisket. I find they are generally more tender. I used to try and keep them under 12lbs, but I've since switched to local grass fed and the farmer usually butchers them when they are closer to 7 or 8. I think selection is half the battle, taking your time is the rest.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • RaleighGuyRaleighGuy Posts: 185
    Nice choice with the Brickhouse Maduro

"A word to the wise ain't necessary-it's the stupid ones that need the advice." Bill Cosby

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

·
  • hapster said:
    Even the ones that I've thought sucked were devoured by family and friends. We are always our own worst critics. Get another one and get back in there!
    Exactly. A big 'ol slab of meat like a brisket can be intimidating, but they're not as hard to smoke as some people think IMO. Take it off the smoker at app 200º and you should be golden.
    ·
  • OMG!
    I am moving closer to you Hapster!
    That is beautiful!
    Thanks for the rub instructions. Going to look at doing another one for poker night in a couple of weeks. :)
    ·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,298
    edited August 2013
    Interesting to see that you can power through the stall using higher temps w/o foil. 

I like the "bag of beef" label. :)

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 12,856
    hapster said:

On to stick number two... And some Titos and ice tea. Decided to try something; once the IT reached 160, I opene the vent a little and got the grid to 320-325 to see if it will ease it thru the stall slow and steady like in a turboish fashion. The IT is now 164 and the grid is 324

Ekai-YahooShesABrickhouse468.flv.jpg
    480 x 270 - 22K
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·