Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Going to get a small....

SoI think I will be purchasing a small egg very soon... My question for other small owners is should I go with the plate setter or go with a small WOO from the CGS? Any help appreciated!
J
Fighting Sioux Hockey
·

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 15,807
    small woo............. not an owner anymore, sold mine but the small woo is better
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,308

I have both and always use the Woo and stone

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    I have woo and stone

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • +1 on mini woo and stone.
    ·
  • I'd go woo if I could do over again.

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • Woo and stones from Amazon or Tom
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • Thanks for everyone's input so far. Does everyone like their small egg? I plan to use it exclusively.
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
    ·
  • LowflyerLowflyer Posts: 741
    edited August 2013
    Small woo!!! Love mine, using as we speak. Large is great for multiple items and ppl, small gets it done for me and the wife.
    ·
  • Thanks for everyone's input so far. Does everyone like their small egg? I plan to use it exclusively.

I like my small, but not as much as the medium. I have all the sizes and the small is a great egg, but it doesn't have the temperature range the rest have (it doesn't get really hot as easily, the air inlet is proportioned less than the rest). But since I know it's limits, it doesn't trouble me. I always recommend the medium over the small because it is a miser on fuel, but it's temperature range is superior. I think you'll love the small, unless you are looking to cook in the 600-700 range.

I also agree with the others, I love my woo. I leave it in my medium all the time. I have "great mates" for my small, and they are fantastic too. Not sure if forum member chubby sells them anymore or not.

John - SLC, UT

Webers, Eggs, Bubba Keg, Smokin-It #3

·
  • We use the small and mini every day. I have only lit my oven twice this year. Only use large for big family cooks. The small is our workhorse and perfect for just the 2 of us
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • We use the small mostly "on the road" while picnicing and cooking at my Mom's.  I use it for sides occasionally at home.  I probably light it five or six times a month.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,405
    RAC said:

I have both and always use the Woo and stone

Same here.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,519
    Woo with stone and drip pan. Then a CI grid. Possibilities are endless. And do get a HiQ. Without it the small egg will not go up in temps soon but will take for ever.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • Thanks for the info everyone. @aviator with the woo and indirect set up can you actually do a few pork butts or a turkey like the website suggests? Thanks, J
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,519
    G&G, unfortunately, I have never tried to do either on the small. I have a Large for those things. Don't think I have seen a two layered set up on the small, although the forum will come forward for that.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    I don't have one but here is a two tier setup for the small. I believe it works with the platesetter. http://ceramicgrillworks.com/products-page/product-category/large-2-tier-adjustable-swing-rack-system/

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,905
    9 lb turkey on the small woo
    This is around a 8 lb bone in pork butt on the small
    Ceramic Grill Works Two-Tier Swing Rack for the small my new and favorite eggcessory so far! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • thanks for the pictures and info @solson005. I got in on the group buy for the extender, so i'm thinking that might work like the CGW two tier swing rack. Thanks again!
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
    ·