Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear Perfection! First attempt

porta
porta Posts: 88
3rd Cook so far.....and boy was it delicious! I went to the store to pick up some NY Strips but I couldn't pass up the Ribeye that caught my eye. It spoke to me and begged to end up on my dinner plate, and it was on sale too :) 6.99 a lb, so I picked up the manliest one they had weighing in at 23 oz. Rubbed with some EVOO and seasoned generously with DP Red Eye and some cracked pepper. cooked for 25-30 min at 225-250 until I.T. was ~105. then removed and rested while I turned the lump into lava. Seared for 90 seconds on each side at 750 w/ a 90degree turn to get some sexy grill marks. pulled at ~120 I.T. and rested for 10 minutes. Final Temperature was ~130 Enjoy....

I could not believe how fast the grill jumped up to over 750. Less than 3 minutes from 225 - 750. AMAZING!

68% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Comments

• Grand slam!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Really excellent job! Looks fantastic! Have you tried the T Rex method? Also produces an amazing steak. Hard to say which is better, the reverse sear or the T Rex, but definitely worth trying them both out if you haven't yet.
    Southern California
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415

Porta, Boy that looks good enough to eat!  Nice Grill marks too!  And, $6.99/LB, that is crazy cheap...where do you live and shop and get Ribeye for $6.99/lb?  Back to the grill marks....and I must add, I am a relative newbie to the BGE world...only a month in dn still learning, but cooking all weekend, every weekend, on the BGE.  Having said that, I read a Reverse Searing technique on amazingribs.com, where he brushes both sides of the steak with melted butter, right before he puts the steak back on for the sear, in order to carmelize the whole exterior of the steak.  So, you don't get the clearly defined grill marks, but rather, the whole exterior of the steak gets carmelized and gets that grill mark color overall.  I have to say...absolutely the best steak I ever grilled!

BTW - beautiful pink on that steak, right in the middle there!

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    EagleIII said:

Porta, Boy that looks good enough to eat!  Nice Grill marks too!  And, $6.99/LB, that is crazy cheap...where do you live and shop and get Ribeye for $6.99/lb?  Back to the grill marks....and I must add, I am a relative newbie to the BGE world...only a month in dn still learning, but cooking all weekend, every weekend, on the BGE.  Having said that, I read a Reverse Searing technique on amazingribs.com, where he brushes both sides of the steak with melted butter, right before he puts the steak back on for the sear, in order to carmelize the whole exterior of the steak.  So, you don't get the clearly defined grill marks, but rather, the whole exterior of the steak gets carmelized and gets that grill mark color overall.  I have to say...absolutely the best steak I ever grilled!

BTW - beautiful pink on that steak, right in the middle there!

Do you happen to have a link to that
    article? Would love to read it through.
    Southern California
  • porta
    @bicktrav - I have not tried that method yet. It's going to have a tough act to follow!
    @Eaglelll - Tampa, FL. Publix does a weekly add and you can usually get a great deal. The week before NY strips were around the same price, It was a 6 or 7$ a lb. savings. I'm going to try the melted butter next time! 
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415

Looks like Eggcelsior beat me to the punch on the link to the Reverse Sear article on amazingribs.com....so thanks for the assistance Eggcelsior!

Amazingribs is a nice website with gobs of recipes and techniques.  I have to admit I was skepticle on the Butter Technique and was not convinced until I tried it.  Before that, I always wanted those pretty grill marks we all strive for...now, I am not so sure I will worry so much about those!  Slather melted butter on the outside, put the steaks back on for the sear(don't walk away during that step or you are doomed to failure) and off you go.  Besides all of that....it MUST be better with melted butter brushed all over it eh?

• porta
    I tried the T REX method last night, turned out great. Although, I think I will stick to the reverse sear. I got wall-to-wall medium rare with a beautiful crust w/ the reverse sear. With the T REX method I got my desired internal temp and crust, but it dwindled away closer to the edge. Both are great ways to cook. I guess it just comes down to personal preference.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2013
    porta said:
    I tried the T REX method last night, turned out great. Although, I think I will stick to the reverse sear. I got wall-to-wall medium rare with a beautiful crust w/ the reverse sear. With the T REX method I got my desired internal temp and crust, but it dwindled away closer to the edge. Both are great ways to cook. I guess it just comes down to personal preference.
    I have been a champion of reverse sear for some time. SWMBO thinks the rub has some time to work with the meat during the low temp part of the cook resulting in an enhanced flavour. Like you, I prefer a 225-250º target temp. Because things are happening very slowly, it is easier to get the desired results. 
    If you do Trex, season after, everything other than minerals (salt) will be burned off during the high temp sear. 

Great looking cook!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Instead of brushing with butter before the sear, I've been doing some with bacon grease and some with duck fat. This took it up another notch, fantastic flavor.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • porta
    @billyray - you had me at bacon!
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Outstanding!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Only thing I do that I think really helps, is use a cast iron griddle for the sear. It gets scorching hot, and you get a really uniform crust. No grill marks. Those are for show, not taste. Try it!!
    Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith
  • Bunch of great ideas and links in this thread.  I like the amazingrib site above, even though if you go his review of ceramic cookers he says they are good for smoking, but not for searing (???).  He complains you can't do a hot side/cool side of fire due to size and shape of grill (we all solve that with platesetters, stones, spyders, AR"s etc). 
  • This is probably a stupid question but how do you know the temperature is up to 750 if the lid is up?