Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo butt only 3.5 hours???

Styer
Styer Posts: 25
Just cooked my first turbo butt. It was a 7# bone in Boston butt and it only took 3 hours and 35 mins. Should I be concerned? It was cooked averaging around 350*, had a little trouble getting the temp to settle the first 1.5 hours

I pulled and foiled it at around 140-160, had a decent enough bark for my liking. That was at about 2 hours in. My poulder probe said 160 and my meat thermometer said 145. When I pulled it at 3 hours 35 mins my poulder said 200* as did my meat thermometer in multiple areas. Also the meat thermometer when in with almost no force.

The butt is currently FTC'ed and waiting till 8pm central to be pulled for dinner.

Should I be concerned?

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Nope. You put the football through the tire on that one. Prepared to be amazed. It's like Neo discovering the Matrix.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    You'll be fine! Occasionally I will have the same surprise and we call them turbo butts. Back when I believed the 240 low and slow gospel I'd encounter the same thing where I would plan for say 21 hours and the butt would be ready to rock n roll after 14 hours! Enjoy!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.