Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Table for the 30 Year Old Egg and the New LBGE

You guys may remember me posting a pic of my grandfathers 30+ year old egg. My wife bought me a new LBGE for my birthday last month. As I suspected, when I lifted the old egg out of the old table, the bottom of the egg stayed in the table. I spent a lot of time cleaning the joints and using JB Weld to piece it back together. It all turned out great and I was able to salvage my grandfathers old egg! So the next step was to build a table to house them both. I drew up what I wanted and went to the local lumber yard to by cedar or cypress lumber. It was WAY too expensive, so off to Lowe's I went to get pressure treated pine. Spent all day one Sunday and a couple of evenings building the new table. Here's the finished product, I will stain it a medium color after it has a chance to dry out a bit. Thanks for looking.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    This is outstanding.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Excellent - looks like you may have a way to keep it all covered, will greatly assist in keeping it look good. Nice to see that old girl next to the current generation, well done. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Looks great! Nice job!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    I think that is so cool you are able to use your grandfathers Egg. Congrats on the new member of you family too!
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • buddubya
    buddubya Posts: 23
    Man - this is awesome. Very sentimental. I have an old Medium BGE that's not quite that old, but late 80's early 90's I think. Neighbor passed away and his wife gave it to my dad, who then gave it to me when I went to college. Thing has traveled  more than many people. 

My goal is to make a table just like this with the old school medium and a brand new large. Do you have the measurements and/or a checklist for this project? Love the shelf below and the granite inserts also. Very well thought out.

Bottom of old one has a bad crack in it almost all they way around, but still smokes like a champ. Any recommendations on a compound or glue to patch the crack with?

Brookhaven, GA

2012 Large | Mid 90's Medium

• Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    thats great nice set up but my only question is how come you grandfathers Egg is not green hence big Green EGG I thought all Eggs were green 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    awesome!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    JB Weld... Up to 500 degrees
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    What happens after 500 degrees?

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited August 2013
    thats great nice set up but my only question is how come you grandfathers Egg is not green hence big Green EGG I thought all Eggs were green 
    It's a Kamado, but not an egg.  But they all get called eggs around here.
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Very Jealous, please post finished pictures. Cant wait to see it!
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    \m/
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    There's nothing sexier than that!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Way cool...they really are something to pass down at some point...keep on cookin

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• lecrams
    lecrams Posts: 116
    Thanks all for looking! As for the color, from what my grandfather told me, they used to give a choice of 4 colors. He was an NC State alum, so he bought a red one. These were sold by the mother ship here in Atlanta before they branded it as "Big Green Egg". I remember going to their original location with him at Clairmont and Buford Highway back in the day.
  • lecrams
    lecrams Posts: 116
    Budd, unfortunately I didn't take many progress pics. I was ready to get m project finished. I attached a couple for you. Generally, I took the plans from the naked whiz site and tried to redraw to fit my needs. I'm an engineer, so I have to think through it and draw it out first. The drawings ended up getting tossed at some point. It is 96" long (1 deck board with about an 1/8" trimmed off each end for a clean finish). It is 27.5" wide, or 5 deck boards. The posts are 4 x 4s. I built a ladder for the bottom shelf and built the exterior frame only for the middle and top levels. Got them all in place on the posts and started screwing them in with 3" deck screws. I only left 5" clear on the bottom shelf knowing the PS is 4" tall, but I wish I had left 6-8". I think there is 18" from the deck board on the middle surface to the deck on top, but it should have been 16 or 17" (I blame the margaritas my helper made me). You can see the additional supports I used on the middle level since it is holding the weight of 2 eggs. If doing the granite inserts, make sure you plan out where your granite will go as you do the framing. I was able to buy the granite as scrap from a local countertop fab shop. $20 and I walked away with 18" square pieces of granite. Similarly to the supports on the middle shelf, you need to plan ahead with the cross members on the top shelf. Where will you cut the holes anywhere will you do the granite inlay. To try to endup with clean edges, I planned ahead and built the frames so I would have 1" overhang with the deck boards all the way around. That allowed me to rip a deck board to be 3.5" tall and use it as a facia board. I then used a nail gun with finishing nails so you don't see any of the screws. Speaking of fasteners, spend the extra money on stainless steel finishing screws. They have a small head and when you drive them all the way into the deck boards on top, you never see them. As you will read elsewhere on here, the casters a big personal preference item. If you need to move it far or often, you will want larger casters to ease that process. I chose 2.5" casters rated for 300# each because I will only move mine every few years to restrain the deck. If possible, I would build the table when it will live. It is pretty damn heavy even without the eggs.