Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

My BBQ Controller

yogi84yogi84 Posts: 146
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
Per request....
i built me own controller below is the details...
Web resources

The device is made up of 1 raspberry pi and 1 custom made board (soldered by me) that was ordered from Osh park all this is enclosed in a custom printed 3d case. Total cost was ~175-225 it has support for up to 3 pieces up meat and 1 pit currently.Also it is managed via a button on the front or the web... It will text/email when a triggered alarm is hit there is also support for scripting to ramp temp down etc....

some pics...

first boot...

in case

web start page/monitor 

config page
in action/first run

yes that is duct tape in the fan....

some results

This weekend i plan on building a new valve for the fan (a gravity feed valve)
Also forgot to mention there is also an android app.. pitdroid on google play
Thanks....

·

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,301
    Thanks for posting! 
    ·
  • Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,253
    Nice work

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

·
  • tamu2009tamu2009 Posts: 275
    wish i had that kind of skill!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
    ·
  • BREWnQBREWnQ Posts: 213
    WOW thats impressive! I like to think of myself as a pretty smart dude but when I see stuff like this I realize I'm just a dummy.
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
    ·
  • yogi84yogi84 Posts: 146
    @BREWnQ @Chris_Wang @tamu2009 Thanks....
    @eggcelsior let me know if you plan on building one i have some extra parts....

·
  • StyerStyer Posts: 25
    That is friggen sweet. I haven't bought a raspberry pi yet because I could no never find a good enough use.  I want one.  Hmmm. Could you call it the "Big Green Pi" or something else smart like that 
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,278
    Very nice....my kind of project. 

I'm gonna get a 3D printer...next year the price will drop like a rock....some key patents expire.

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,301

Very nice....my kind of project. 

I'm gonna get a 3D printer...next year the price will drop like a rock....some key patents expire.

I hope so. My wife will murder me if I drop 3k on that toy.
    ·