Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

My BBQ Controller

yogi84yogi84 Posts: 142
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
Per request....
i built me own controller below is the details...
Web resources

The device is made up of 1 raspberry pi and 1 custom made board (soldered by me) that was ordered from Osh park all this is enclosed in a custom printed 3d case. Total cost was ~175-225 it has support for up to 3 pieces up meat and 1 pit currently.Also it is managed via a button on the front or the web... It will text/email when a triggered alarm is hit there is also support for scripting to ramp temp down etc....

some pics...

first boot...

in case

web start page/monitor 

config page
in action/first run

yes that is duct tape in the fan....

some results

This weekend i plan on building a new valve for the fan (a gravity feed valve)
Also forgot to mention there is also an android app.. pitdroid on google play
Thanks....

·

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,000
    Thanks for posting! 
    ·
  • Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,253
    Nice work

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

·
  • tamu2009tamu2009 Posts: 272
    wish i had that kind of skill!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
    ·
  • BREWnQBREWnQ Posts: 210
    WOW thats impressive! I like to think of myself as a pretty smart dude but when I see stuff like this I realize I'm just a dummy.
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
    ·
  • yogi84yogi84 Posts: 142
    @BREWnQ @Chris_Wang @tamu2009 Thanks....
    @eggcelsior let me know if you plan on building one i have some extra parts....

·
  • StyerStyer Posts: 25
    That is friggen sweet. I haven't bought a raspberry pi yet because I could no never find a good enough use.  I want one.  Hmmm. Could you call it the "Big Green Pi" or something else smart like that 
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,696
    Very nice....my kind of project. 

I'm gonna get a 3D printer...next year the price will drop like a rock....some key patents expire.

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,000

Very nice....my kind of project. 

I'm gonna get a 3D printer...next year the price will drop like a rock....some key patents expire.

I hope so. My wife will murder me if I drop 3k on that toy.
    ·