Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Preparing for 1st time ribs

I've cooked a lot of stuff on the egg, but I have yet to pull off a succesful rib meal. I tried to search for rib recipes on this forum, but the mobile site (I'm on my iPhone) doesn't seem to have a search function. Has anyone tried the Big Green Egg's recipe found here:http://www.biggreenegg.com/features/championship-ribs/ ?

Is tin foil necessary?

Thanks!

Comments

• Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Do a search for car wash mike method in google or safari. Turns out great ribs :P
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340

I do ribs 275 to 300 until they past the bend test no spritzing or anything. I haven't went back to foil or anything other way. St Louis style been taking me around 2.5 hours or a little more.

This has produced my best ribs to date.

• I have used the Car Wash Mike method several times and have had Eggcellent results! Don't be afraid of the mustard. It makes a huge difference.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Here is a link to car wash mikes ribs. Foil is not necessary but speeds up the process, it also makes the pork a little mushy if foiled too long and will make them fall off the bone. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    FireTower said:
    I've cooked a lot of stuff on the egg, but I have yet to pull off a succesful rib meal. I tried to search for rib recipes on this forum, but the mobile site (I'm on my iPhone) doesn't seem to have a search function. Has anyone tried the Big Green Egg's recipe found here:http://www.biggreenegg.com/features/championship-ribs/ ? Is tin foil necessary? Thanks!
    You will find several methods and techniques from this board.  I cook ribs about once a month and have been doing this for about 15 years.  The biggest differences come from the "foil or no foil" groups. I am in the "no foil" group, but have done many, many racks using the foiling technique.  I put them on and after the first hour spray them with apple juice every hour and this me the texture that I like. I never sauce ribs, unless we have company. Foiling means that after a couple of hours, you put the ribs in foil with a little liquid (water, apple juice, beer).  Leaving ribs like this for an hour or two will certainly get them tender, but it changes the texture.  Try the different methods and after a few rib cooks, you will figure out what you like best.  Good luck!!
  • LBGE at 350 dome, indirect, legs up, drip pan with 50/50 mix of apple juice and water.  Placed 4 chunks of peach wood on each side of the egg.  Since I had 3 racks of ribs I had to use my extended grid.  2 racks of ribs went on the bottom and 1 on the top, making certain they did not hang past the drip pan.  Ribs went on bone side down for 1 hour.  Then I flipped them bone side up for 1 hour.  After the hour the top rack was passing the bend test but the bottom racks went for about 20 mins. more before they had a drawback and passed the bend test.  Sauced with 50/50 mix of Blues Hog and Sonny's Sweet sauce.  Let them rest for about 15 mins and enjoyed.

Usually I spray the ribs with just apple juice every 30 mins. But I could not find my spray bottle so I didn't with this cook. I didn't see any difference.

Single bite through tender and everyone who has had them talk about how good they are.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited August 2013
    This is so easy & good. Turbo Ribs Baby Backs (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.) 350 indirect for 1hr 40 min..... Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• 3-2-1 works for me. Mustard and rub the night before, 3hrs on the egg at 250 indirect, 2 hrs in foil with parkay and agave nectar or brown sugar, and one hour with sauce.
  • Tbonez3858
    Tbonez3858 Posts: 102
    I've had disastrous results every time I've done car wash Mikes ribs. I have had much better luck with 3-2-1 (really 3- 1/2-1/2)...Im going to try the turbo ribs next time. I really cant tell the difference between a turbo Boston butt and a low and slow. 

To be honest I think there is a point when the length of the smoke starts to have an acidic taste...Im sure thats heresy here but its just my opinion. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited August 2013
    I either do 3-1-1 or 4-1/2 hours both indirect at 250, for the 4-1/2 I cook until it passes the bend test. The 3-1-1 will fall of the bone, the 4-1/2 you need to tug a little but the meat is firmer. I like either way.

Johns Creek, Georgia