Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for guidance

I'm not a guy that wants anything free or that he doesn't deserve but recently I discovered that my firebox in my XL BGE is cracked completely into two pieces.  
As my luck would have it I can locate every document associated with my purchase a little over three years ago EXCEPT the blasted receipt.
The dealer that I bought it from here in Tucson AZ (BBQ WORLD) went out of business a few weeks after my purchase so that route is out in trying to get my proof of purchase for warranty purposes.
My local NEW dealer (an upscale outdoor furniture store) doesn't seem engaged in wanting to help me either.
Yes...I KNOW that I should have maintained my records a little better but in this case I did not.
The cost of the replacement firebox wont kill me but if it CAN be replaced under warranty I would certainly prefer that.  The savings could then be spent on other Eggcessories like a baking stone, lump, etc.
Any suggestions or hints?

Comments

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Have you tried BGE customer service?
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yes, call up HQ (the company).  Register your egg, estimate the purchase date, or better yet, look it up in your bank records if you can.  They'll take care of you.  The ceramic components are covered for life for the original owner.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/support/warranty/
    You need to name the dealer who will not help you. People do not need to be giving them business. It is not any cost to them to help you.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Come up to Tempe and see Mike at BBQ Island. They are great, that's where all 4 of my eggs are from.
  • I'm a little disappointed in Solana Outdoor here in Marana. I approached them with the previously mentioned warranty question and was promised an answer. That was four days ago. I called them again today and was greeted with a voicemail. I left another message but again, no return call. The BGE line is clearly not their priority and apparently, neither am I. It's okay though... My XL BGE wasn't purchased from them so perhaps that is why I have been relegated to the bottom of their list (where I have apparently fallen off!) I have a call into BBQ ISLAND in Tempe at the urging of a member of this forum. Hopefully I'll hear back soon. Customer service isn't what it used to be and it's sad. It's also sad that a BGE dealer 10 miles from my home will NEVER see one dollar of my hard earned income.
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    That is something that some people seem to not understand.  They think " He didn't buy the Egg here, so I am not going to help him out".  

They don't realize that you would be on this forum and in your circle of friends and family singing their praises if they helped you out. 

Not to mention the money that you would be spending in there for years to come.  Return customers are what keep a business running.  They have no idea how much that costs them.

Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Agreed! As an example of my loyalty I live less than 5 minutes from my local Harley dealer BUT I RIDE AN HOUR AND A HALF to a dealership in another COUNTY for my oil changes. Why? Customer service. I'm an avid bowler and have NO shortage of pro-shops IN TOWN to serve my needs for equipment but I DRIVE AN HOUR AND FORTY FIVE MINUTES to a pro-shop in another CITY for their personalized service and consistent follow-ups regarding my satisfaction. That's old school customer service and if I find a BGE dealer in another town that offers it...well...time to gas up, book a hotel room and head that way! Even if I have to PAY for a new firebox it will be PURCHASED from a dealer THAT CARES.
  • R3K
    R3K Posts: 52

I believe it has already been mentioned, but did you register your Egg when you bought it?  If so, you should be good to go with the Company.

One word of advice, if you already have the equipment, scan your receipts into your computer and store them that way.  I created a folder called "receipts", and whenever I make a purchase over about $200, I scan the receipt and file it electronically.  You can create sub folders and separate receipts for Automobile, motorcycle, home, etc., and find them in seconds by just doing a search in the applicable folder.  As long as the print out of the scan is legible, you shouldn't have any problems with a store not honoring it.  This has also helped me when my truck was stolen and recovered minus the stereo equipment.  State Farm had no problem accepting print outs in lieu of original receipts. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    R3K said:

I believe it has already been mentioned, but did you register your Egg when you bought it?  If so, you should be good to go with the Company.

One word of advice, if you already have the equipment, scan your receipts into your computer and store them that way.  I created a folder called "receipts", and whenever I make a purchase over about $200, I scan the receipt and file it electronically.  You can create sub folders and separate receipts for Automobile, motorcycle, home, etc., and find them in seconds by just doing a search in the applicable folder.  As long as the print out of the scan is legible, you shouldn't have any problems with a store not honoring it.  This has also helped me when my truck was stolen and recovered minus the stereo equipment.  State Farm had no problem accepting print outs in lieu of original receipts. 

Just don't do what I did. Loaded all on my Dell (Dell only, did not thank other was needed) and then got a blue screen that could not be recovered. Now 100% Mac and everything is loaded into the Cloud for safety.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• R3K
    R3K Posts: 52
    Mickey said:
    R3K said:

Just don't do what I did. Loaded all on my Dell (Dell only, did not thank other was needed) and then got a blue screen that could not be recovered. Now 100% Mac and everything is loaded into the Cloud for safety
    Mickey said:
    R3K said:

Just don't do what I did. Loaded all on my Dell (Dell only, did not thank other was needed) and then got a blue screen that could not be recovered. Now 100% Mac and everything is loaded into the Cloud for safety.
    I learned the hard way as well.  Had important stuff on one portable hard drive and DROPPED IT, rendering it useless.  Now, I have more than one back up external drive so I don't worry too much, but storing stuff in the Cloud seems like that would be the way to go!