Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Zuni / Spatchcock Hybrid Yardbird

Options

Fellow Eggheads,

The fancy (organic, free range, no solution) chickens were on sale at the butcher so I bought one spatchcocked.  I have heavily kosher salted the skin and sprinkled on a tiny bit of black pepper.  IT has been sitting in fridge for 36 hours to dry out the skin.

I have RO with a tiny amount of cherry on the egg right now.

Question is, how do I cook it?  I was thinking in a cast iron pan, flipping once, indirect at 450 for an hour?  Will that overdo it since it is spatchcocked?  Guidance please!

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Normal spatchcocked chickens I do 400 raised direct for about an hour until the breast are 155 and the thins/legs are 177. Let it sit for carry over cook.

Garnerville, NY
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options
    Ok, thanks for the advice.  Guess i better stick a temperature probe in it.
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Zuni is normally 1 hour @ 500 for non Spatched bird flipped twice
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I just did one tonight, raised grid at 400 direct, put the bird bone side down and no flipping necessary. Takes about 1 hour but cook to bird temperature not time. I do 155 - 160 white 180 dark.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I still haven't rigged up a way to do raised direct so I do mine with the plate setter at 400-425. I rub with EVOO and season with Carolina Seasoning from The Holland Grill Co. (it's the family favorite at our house for chicken and pork) I never plan far enough ahead to let it rest in the fridge and dry. 70-80 minutes and its 160+ in the dark and 180+ in the white.  Maybe I've been lucky but I've had nice crispy skin and very juicy chicken each time. I'm looking forward to getting and adjustable rig someday to try the raised direct method. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Zuni is salt for 48 hours 500 indirect in cast iron tit up 30 tit down 20 tit up 10. Super crispy brown skin & juicy bird.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Never heard of it till now.

Johns Creek, Georgia