Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Stoker Vs guru

I have a DigiQ and was wanting to get a unit that I can control via wifi. Which is better, the Stoker or the BBQ Guru cyber wifi one?
·

Comments

• GreenhawKGreenhawK Posts: 398
    I love my Stoker.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
    ·
  • biznork said:
    I have a DigiQ and was wanting to get a unit that I can control via wifi. Which is better, the Stoker or the BBQ Guru cyber wifi one?
    Have you checked out the reviews I did of both units?  Product Reviews
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • bigguy136bigguy136 Posts: 903
    I also love my Stokers. I can also control multiple eggs with one Stoker unit.

Big Lake, Minnesota

Large BGE, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

·
  • MklineMkline Posts: 177
    if you want the ability to control multiple egos at once get the stoker. If you are like me and only need one at a time get the guru. I use my guru every-other week and fine it works great. 
    ·
  • biznorkbiznork Posts: 110
    Weren't there a lot of connectivity problems when the wifi guru came out? Did they get them all ironed out?
    ·
  • HotchHotch Posts: 1,101

I have only used the Stoker. Had it for 2 years and would not trade it. I have one of each, with built in WIFI and without (older unit). They both are great.

"You’re not a real Texan till you’ve been kicked out of every decent state in America." - Joe Bob Briggs

LBGE, Mini BGE and R&V Fryer

Prosper TX

And your are correct, Texas Red has no Beans

·
  • One comment I received about the Wifi function is that they both use 802.11b which is ancient, and that putting a "b" device on the network makes it drop everything to "b".  Some routers won't support "b" unless you tell them to.  Not sure about all of this, but both units worked fine for me with no special fiddling beyond what is required to set up the router.

The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • GadflyGadfly Posts: 118
    edited August 2013

I was one of those that had connectivity issue in infrastructure mode. But I believe it went away once I explicitly set the default gateway on the unit.

Whatever it was, I remember that following all the directions in the manual by themselves did -not- solve my problem.

(If you see the manual says "set the default gateway", then I'll have eggs all over my face.)

·
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,690
    This will be my next gift (purchase). I can do without it but it's time I got some sleep on overnight cooks. Tagging along. Any of these wifi units water proof? Burying them in a drawer or a container might limit the wifi range.

Garnerville, NY
    ·
  • I just got a guru last week and hooked it up with almost no problem.  I wasn't able to connect remotely until I changed the port from 80 to 8080.  Very slick little setup!
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
    ·
  • I have a Guru WiFi and am really happy with it.  I have not had connectivity issues, I have been using it for about a year.  Checking the temperature of your turkey while out on a mtn bike ride is pretty sweet.  Haha 

·
  • MklineMkline Posts: 177

I have a Guru WiFi and am really happy with it.  I have not had connectivity issues, I have been using it for about a year.  Checking the temperature of your turkey while out on a mtn bike ride is pretty sweet.  Haha 

This is actually why I bought a wifi guru. Never once have I had a connectivity issue and I am IT illiterate.
    ·
  • @yogi84

Good sir, you have just ruined my workday.  I'll be digging into this and then ultimately not doing it after pondering for a few months.  Looks like a fun project, just like when I looked into building my own cedar strip+ fiberglass canoe.

Seriously though - I'd like to hear how your build went and how you like it - maybe start a thread on that? Very cool stuff.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
    ·