Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - My first car

Options

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    revolver1 said:
    1954 Chrysler Windsor, 4 door with fluid drive.  Some won't know what fluid drive is.  Ha!
    I do! After I sold that 53 Henry J which most here probably never heard of either...I bought a '48 Chevy sedan. At that age of 16 I was still short and honestly could stand up straight on the floorboard behind the front seat! That thing was a boat! LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    72Nova, had a 307 but had 4000 stall converter and 488 rear end gears was a monster off the line and then craped out real fast. Drove it like that for about a year then built a beast of a motor.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited August 2013
    Options
    My whole car evolution:

1972 Ford Pinto, new a gift from my parents, cost $2K.
    1973 Suzuki GS400.  My first MC.  Totaled in my most spectacular wreck in Harlem GA, on a
            ride to Canada.
    1975 Suzuki GS750.  Great bike.
    1977 Toyota SR5 maroon sedan with a moonroof, my first paid for myself car.  Great car.
    1979 Toyota Landcruiser, wish I still had it, and I was a fool at the cost and ended up selling it.
    1977 Suzuki GS1000 moto.  It was all the transport I had for several years after the LC fiasco.
     Years unremembered, several junkers that lasted for awhile.  Got a couple of good stories.
    19something 60's Carman Ghia convertable with an automatic stick shift.  Fun while it lasted.
    1985 Toyota wagon.  Traded my last bike in on it to pick up my first daughter from the
             hospital.    Became The Spouses ride and I did the Ghia.
    1988 Honda Civic.  Great little car, the first I traded because I was tired of it at 175K miles.
    1990 Izuzu pickup.  New car for The Spouse.  Piece of crap the oldest daughter ended up driving,
            although we had good times with the kids canoeing and picnicking with it..
    1993 Nissan pickup V6.  Great car, and I loved it even after handed down.  Totaled by daughter 2.
            with 275K miles on it.  Still ran great.
    199something Dodge van hand me down from Dad, youngest drove for awhile.  Oh what a story is connected to that one.  Flames, destruction, kidnapping, fraud.
    2002 Dodge Neon.  New ride for The Spouse.
    2004 Dodge Dakota.  Liked it but Lemon Lawed it because it leaked.
    2005 Dodge Ram.  Got it in the Lemon Law.  Big truck, bad mileage.
    2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring.  New ride for The Spouse.  Totaled by a Chrystler 300.  Gave more
              that it took, a great little car.
    2013 Hyundai Sonata(s).  Replacement car for The Spouse.  I like it so much we got His & Her's. 
              The gas savings in not commuting in the Ram make the car payment.  And I am not putting
               miles on the Ram.  May be my final PU.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    revolver1 said:
    1954 Chrysler Windsor, 4 door with fluid drive.  Some won't know what fluid drive is.  Ha!
    like a torque converter for older Chryslers, my dad retired from Chrysler after 33 yrs.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    My parents bought me a 1976 Impalal. Silver, black interior. From a little old lady... In 1987.

Thanks for the **** block...

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    hapster said:

I'm not sure what that is, but it sounds undesirable.
    Flint, Michigan
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    hapster said:

I'm not sure what that is, but it sounds undesirable.
    Apparently the car kept him from getting any, well you know...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    my 1st car was a 1972 Chevelle SS that had a 350 LT1 rated at 370 HP it had a M22 rock crusher and it had 488 gears this car passed everything but the gas pump but who cared back then gas was like 39.9 a gallon 5 bucks and Ucould cruise all night racing from stop light to stop light I wish I still had that car 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    '49 Ford Custom coupe. Shift on the column, push button start.'49 Plymouth bumpers and blue dot tail lights. Paid $100 bucks for it all. Dad got pissed 'cause I didn't have a drivers license.

Opelika, Alabama
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    1973 VW sedan bug. No heater, no defrost...in Nebraska. Astonishingly, it didn't hurt my game. Especially when parked next to a '76 silver Impala. ;)

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited August 2013
    Options
    56 Bel Aire Chevy.  Was the hand-me-down car.  My sister named her Grendel after the character in Beowulf...the car hated my sister (hood always flew up when she drove it), also didn't like one of my friends...radio would turn off when friend got in the car.   Car had a mind of it own, but it liked me.  Put lots of miles on it.  
    My first real car that I bought with my own money was a '67 283 Chevy Malibu...Was a sweet running car...kept it for almost 15 years before I sold it.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Bet you wish you still had the '56.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• SaturdayFatterday
    SaturdayFatterday Posts: 468
    edited August 2013
    Options
    1984 Ford EXP.  It barely ran and used to catch on fire.  It was also totally impractical.  It was totally worth the $400 I spent on it.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Bet you wish you still had the '56.
    You bet, one of my father's clients bought it when I went off to college.  I also wish I had never sold the Malibu.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    edited August 2013
    Options
    86 Suzuki Samurai new-parents gave it to me when I turned 16, got rid of it shortly after 60min showed them flipping over. Now I have real jeep :D
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Datsun/Nissan Sentra, had both names on it.  My college rommie gave it to me- he hated it.  Couldn't shift into reverse, drivers door didn't work, no rearview mirror.  I fixed the mirror and door right away, but waited over a year to replace the transmission.  It wasn't as bad as you would think.. bloomington indiana is hilly.. just park facing uphill and you have a natural reverse :)  Or, the car was so light I could push with one foot out the door.

Still my favorite car.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Options
    64 Comet and 70 SS El Camino bought them both for $400.00.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    1973 Mercury Comet paid $300 in 1990 when I was 15

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My first horseless carriage?  A yellow '75 vega.  Wrecked that, and bought a black '72 Vega with a bad engine for a couple hunnert bucks (aluminum block was a lemon).   Pulled then engine and rebuilt it with steel sleeves.  Those were the two un-coolest cars I've ever had.  That was around 17.  Next car was a 260Z.  Added fender flares and painted it (my first paint job/body work).  Loved that car.

Lost count after around 30 cars and trucks.
    Options
    @nolaegghead - we had a 72 Vega, bought it new, worked great for the first three months. Same crappy engine and the front fenders rusted off the car.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Ah, the good ol' days.  Cars were simple rattling buckets of rusting junk. 

Now I have to worry about using a fastener with an incompatible alloy that creates galvanic corrosion on my aluminum Alcoa body (7 different aluminum alloys in the frame)...and reconfiguring the computers if I change out a transmission.  The biggest flaw in my car is the double pane windows with a coating that blocks cell phones, radar detectors and toll tags.  We've come a long way @skiddymarker ;)
    Options
    1984 Ford EXP.  It barely ran and used to catch on fire.  It was also totally impractical.  It was totally worth the $400 I spent on it.

That has chick magnet written all over it!

50% of the time, it works all the time.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Dad gave me a Nash Metropolitan in titty pink with the Continental kit. I told Dad I could not drive that to high school ( thinking I would get the crap beat out of me every day). So I got to buy my next car. Boy I wish I owned that today.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    1957 Chevy Bel Air convertible that I bought in 1968 for $45 - a year before I could legally drive. Drove it (mostly legal) for four years until the tranny wore out. Loved that car. Then traded it in for $150 on a 1972 avocado green pinto that cost $1800 new. At the time, I thought I really made out on the '57.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    1966 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible.  It was a land yacht.  Sure miss that car.  When (if) I retire, I might get another just to work on it.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• banjoman
    banjoman Posts: 51
    Options
    1972 VW Karmann Ghia.  My grandfather bought it while it was sitting on blocks in a field.  He had it fully restored and I drove it from 2001-2005 as my daily driver.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    bodski said:

1957 Chevy Bel Air convertible that I bought in 1968 for $45 - a year before I could legally drive. Drove it (mostly legal) for four years until the tranny wore out. Loved that car. Then traded it in for $150 on a 1972 avocado green pinto that cost $1800 new. At the time, I thought I really made out on the '57.

Flint, Michigan
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    a totaled 74 dodge dart and a burnt 73 dodge dart, swapped out the noses and kept the 4 door 74. years later hit a double gaurd rail head on on an exit ramp, got 20 feet or so air at 65 mph and rolled, cut the front fender off with an ax roadside so i could drive it home, pulled the motor out and it went into a 72 dodge club cab truck. next vehicle was/is a 1989 dakota sport pickup with the convertible roof, still my daily driver
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    1986 Chevy Celebrity.  It was my grandmother's ... Awful car.. She was a chef and caterer so the thing had a name long before I acquired it: The Shrimp Boat. 
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options

That has chick magnet written all over it!

50% of the time, it works all the time.
    It was at least as effective as Sex Panther, although cars that repeatedly catch on fire don't smell great, either.  

Also, I saw your post above.  This EXP was purchased in Lafayette, Indiana and driven almost exclusively in Bloomington.  That's also where it met its final end - being crushed into a cube.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.