Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mold moisture rain

Options
Is rain the mold culprit?? Or a damp no air area?

Going to build a roof overt eggs if someone knows its rain.

Need a little scientific reasoning to why my eggs are now molding. They've had a large change of environment. But now I am almost unable to cook from the mold build up.

XLBGE 

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    My eggs never molded when they were under my porch at my old house. I did cook on one of them almost every other day, that has slacked up to once a week, but also they are now out in the rain.

Thinking of making a little roof for my table. Any help on the mold will be appreciated.

Sorry guys, I'm not for sale.

XLBGE 
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Given the large change of environment Im prone to think the episode is temporary, with the ceramic reacting to "whatever" humidity change its been subjected to. Get it gone (the mold, not them thar eggs) and Im thinking they'll probably stabilize in their new climate.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Did you move that far?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    Mine has only ever molded if I have gone several weeks (over a month) without use.  Mine has been in the weather on the wettest summer on record with no issues.  Maybe it's a combination of moisture and what you are cooking?  

Do you let the egg run for a while with no food or drip pan in it when done cooking?

Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @gogogordy
    Will it really adapt?? They are clean now.

@henapple
    No, but the weather has been completely different and they went from covered patio to yard.

@greenhawk
    I fire one of them up at least every week, but you might be on to something. I don't do as many hot and fast midweek cooks. I've been on a slow smoke rib, chicken, and prolly done 8 butts since I've moved in. And no, I go straight from meat off to egg shut.

XLBGE 
  • Gogogordy
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Did they go from a more humid environment to a less humid one? If so the "resident" moisture may be causing your mold as it it tries to balance to the new, lower ambient humidity. If going from a less humid locale, to a more humid one the new humidity may simply be collecting on the surface as the ceramic attempts to equalize its humidity with the ambient humidity. Im just thinking out loud...water, in any form seeks its own level.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • finster
    finster Posts: 136
    Options
    1) I'm glad you changed your mind about that egg sale.  For a less than a year owner it was quite shocking. 2) On the SC coast it is very humid.  Like others said yesterday, I have always left it open a little.  Shut down after cook, Next day I scape clean, scoop ash, top with fresh lump, close, crack bottom vent for circulation, cover.  Mine is always covered because it rains everyday over the summer and I have seen what happens to the paint jobs on cars after a few years in the blazin sun. 
    MBGE in Charleston

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I found mold it mine once when it went for a while without use. I keep a cover on it and all the vents shut. I really can't imagine that cracking a vent will allow airflow through unless it's windy, and that'll probably just let more mold spores in. Maybe do a clean burn more often to get rid of some of the grease/drippings.
    Dunedin, FL
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @finster

That is a very meticulous process I may not be that in tune the next morning to handle. :-/

My egg is covered in gunk, more than likely its a mixture of moisture @gogogordy and some pork grease that is sitting out in the damp dark warm egg.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @yzzi
    I do agree with you, but seams to work for a lot of our friends an that's what I'm trying now. They are clean, and a little more out of the rain (under the sofet) and the vents are cracked.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Oh but most importantly, I got the "OK" from SWMBO to upgrade my egg table area, so if have to than that is a go.

XLBGE 
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    @finster That is a very meticulous process I may not be that in tune the next morning to handle. :-/
    Quote of the day! Thanks...made me smile.
  • yzzi
    Options
    Just put a tarp over them first to see if keeping them out of the rain fixes it. Tarp will allow plenty of airflow but keep rain out. If it works, then dump the money to upgrade.
    Dunedin, FL
  • finster
    finster Posts: 136
    Options
    For me, its better than having to go out and do all that **** before the next cook.  I don't burn it clean.  Regardless I hope you figure out the mold issue.  
    MBGE in Charleston

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @yzzi

That's genius. Ill do that next week and try for a month or so.

XLBGE 
  • yzzi
    Options
    No prob, good luck!
    Dunedin, FL
  • pkaboo1
    pkaboo1 Posts: 115
    Options

I never thought about that mole thing.

Mole, Damn.

Snellville,Ga.
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options

Here is my experience, maybe it will help.  I have a large here at home, use most weeks but not some weeks,  It is on covered porch, and normally leave rain cap on and bottom vent shut between cooks.  Never had a mold issue.

Then, have second large at the lake.  Also on covered porch, and I left rain cap on and vent shut.  Was gone for a couple of weeks, and came back and inside egg and racks covered in mold.  I was rather shocked, never seen this at home.  After reading about it, I now clean my grids off after cooking and store them inside.  On egg, I now leave the bottom vent cracked and usually leave rain cap off between cooks (since on covered porch, no problems with rain actually getting in).  This has dramatically helped cut down on mold problem.  I also saw the new eggvent cap advertisement includes claim you can leave the vent open with the new aluminum rain cap, and it prevents mold as a result of airflow.  My take on all this is the airflow does in fact help prevent mold, as opposed to a dark, stagnant enclosed space.  And the humidity seems to have something to do with it too since the lake egg is only one I ever had any mold issues with.

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I have 4 eggs each with a plastic cover and they are under the eves of the house here in Florida and only once it 9 years did I have a mold problem with a large that had been ignored for over 2 months ( it did not have a cover on it at the time).  High temp burn and back to normal.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    It's all related to climate change due to global warming. We're doomed.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • yzzi
    Options
    Leave a UV lamp in there :)
    Dunedin, FL
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited August 2013
    Options

MCN, have had my eggs uncovered on the deck in sun and rain. Have been deployed  and returned to see NO mold. Have added a small who sits on the deck as well with rain cap on and vents closed. NO mold. I chose not to use the BGE cover that I got with it.

You do not need a roof over it. Don't cover the sucker. What I suggest you do:

After a cook, let the egg go about 10minutes or so to make ash out of anything in there on the grid or ceramic surfaces. That's what I do. Then slam on the top cap, close the bottom vets and go to bed.

Try this.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    I had a mold problem in the large (doesn't get used as often as the others).  I don't have a mold problem anymore.  
    What I didn't is make a foil snake bend it in half and put between the rain cap and the egg.  The bottom vent is opened, screened closed.  
    The large sits in the hot sun, and when cools down at nite moisture builds up in it.  With the top skewed and the bottom vent opened this is just enough ventilation to prevents the moisture and mold build up.  I have not had to do a mold burn for 4 years before the foil snake I did a clean before every cook.
    Note: just remember to remove the top before you open the egg.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited August 2013
    Options
    OT: MCN, PM me your address please. Need to send you something. No- its not another egg :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    caliking said:

OT: MCN, PM me your address please. Need to send you something. No- its not another egg :)

Done :x

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Is it not odd that we have a wide array of experiences??

Maybe it's had something to do with the food parts left in the egg.

XLBGE 
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Is it not odd that we have a wide array of experiences?? Maybe it's had something to do with the food parts left in the egg.

Bingo!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Aviatior could definitely be on to something. I experience issues with mold in both eggs; but i typically shut down the egg immediatley after cooking. I am gonna try letting it burn for a while and give the grid a cleaning before I shut down from now on.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Is it not odd that we have a wide array of experiences?? Maybe it's had something to do with the food parts left in the egg.
    my egg in maine is the worst for mold and i cook on it every weekend, i do believe it could be the food as i cook alot of chicken and pork direct on that egg. i now light the egg every friday night to dry it out even though i wont be cooking til saterday, its almost routine now. this summers been excessivly humid up there as well and its been bad most weeks with the mold and its lit 3 out of 7 days
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Seems like a moisture issue. Don't see mold in Austin. If you get heavy morning dew, you probably get mold unless it is covered by a roof? If you live in Maine (born there), you will get mold no matter what. And mosquitos.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.