Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - My first car

Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
Rather than hijack the XXL BGE thread that is just starting to go down this path, thought I'd start a new thread. Mine was a 1964 Chevy Belair, that I bought from my uncle in in 1975 for $1. Only had 40,000 miles on it, and I drove it for 7 more years. Standard transmission, three on the tree.

Comments

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    1964 Rambler Clasic 770, three on the floor w/ overdrive.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• 1982 Toyota Tercel, purchased in 1991, I think it was $550 and it wasn't worth it.
    Peachtree Corners, GA. Large BGE
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    1983 Toyota carolla.
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    81 mustang! Big P.O.S!!!!(peace of ****!) but i loved that car! :D think i paid 1000 bucks!
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    '89 Jeep Cherokee w/ inline 6 engine.   Bought it at 103000, sold at 203000, and it was still going strong
    Pentwater, MI
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    1958 Ford Fairlane, 6 cylinder, 3 speed column with a pull handle overdrive.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Mine was a 66 Chevy Biscayne. Got it just before graduation in 77. Blue with a white roof, 2 speed 
    auto.Only 26000 miles. Had it only 2 months when it was totaled in from of my house. I cried.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2013
    Hotch said:
    1958 Ford Fairlane, 6 cylinder, 3 speed column with a pull handle overdrive.
    Not my first car, but had a '59, with a 6 and automatic, Tudor in Canada, paid $75 for it and drove it two years. Called her "Mother". Body was so bad I lost a gallon milk jug (full) through the floorboard of the back seat....Good times. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    First car was 1960 Renault Caravelle, three speed standard with a whopping 40 BHP. $300 off a used car lot in '66. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    My first car was a 1968 Triumph TR 250 for $1300 that I bought in 1974.
    Chick magnet to the max!
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    1953 Henry J bought it when I was 15 for $50 and sold it when I turned 16 for $125 and I thought I was a financial whiz!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • '71 Mustang, got it from my cousin.  Drove it for 2 years, wrecked it and sold for 500 more than I bought it for.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    First used car was a 1960 Chevy Belair bought in 1969 from my uncle for $100.  First new car was a 1971 Triumph TR6, the most fun car I've ever owned.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Dirt track race car. I was 14. My parents had to sign consent.
    It was awesome, I made a deal with my dad that if I could earn enough money cutting grass to cover 1/2 he would cover the other 1/2. Needless to say he was a bit surprised when I plunked down my cash on the table. :)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    69 Grand Maquis...
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited August 2013
    64 Plymouth Fury III push button bought it for $100 and sold it one year later for $100. The only car I ever broke even on. Then got my dream car in 1976 for $700, 1967 Plymouth Barracuda fastback, 273 hi performance, 4 barrel, dual point distributor, headers, thrush side pipes...I wish I still had that car. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    70 Chevy Nova bought in 97 for $600.  Drove it full time till about 2003 then drove it part time till about 2007 been sitting since. Brother just picked it up yesterday to give to my nephew. Wife cried I'll miss it but don't really care.
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    1966 VW Squareback (their little station wagon....Im like that) purchased in 1975 for 600 bones. Back in the good old, simple air cooled, carbureted, points-n-condensors days.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    72 Datsun B-210. All my friends had hot rods but mine ran all the time. 50 mpg.. In two years I never changed the oil, just added. Wrapped it around a telephone pole. Sober. It had so many repairs we called it the "bondo buggy".
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    henapple said:
    "... In two years I never changed the oil, just added.".
    HAHAHA Me to! Figured since I was adding a quart every other week or so there was no need to change it out.
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    1968 Mustang 6cyl when I was 15 in 1993.  I still own the car, but it has a 500hp 351W in it now.  I also had to change out everything underneath to handle the V8.  
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • R3K
    R3K Posts: 52
    edited August 2013
    75 Malibu Classic Chevelle (said so in the grill) that my parents gave me when I turned 16.  Most recent old car I've had was a '65 Cadillac Coupe Deville.  Loved it!  18.5 feet long!  Homies called me the Harbor Master because I was driving such a big boat!  Body was great but interior looked like a grenade went off in it.  Sold it in 2008 because I was spending all my restoration money on my motorcycles and taking them to the race track.  Wish I had it back now though
  • 57 Oval Window VW Bug..got it at 16 in 1987. It was in 90 to 95% condition...then I totaled
    it two years later. I want to weep when i think what it would be worth now.
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    1970 Ford Maverick.  Geek Life, Secured.   :(

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• 1972 ford f100 long bed metallic brown with west coast mirrors bought in 1993 for $1200
  • BigSteve
    BigSteve Posts: 52
    91 convertible Camaro bought in 96. Way to fast and flashy for a 16 year old who lives in a speed trap of a town. Had it several years the sold it to @travistrick 's cousin and it was wrecked shortly thereafter.
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    1974 Plymouth Satellite paid $1400 in 1979. Beautiful body but was a gas sucking pig! Only had a small-block 318 c.i. But I loved that car for my high school years!
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    1954 Chrysler Windsor, 4 door with fluid drive.  Some won't know what fluid drive is.  Ha!
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • Don't know the year but an AMC Hornet got it in 1979. Total POS, but a car my parents left with me when they moved from MN to FL. Oh, it had Chevy Supersport hubcaps......... Ugly!
    Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini