Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Okay you handy metal workers

Options
Someone needs to sell a stainless daisy wheel- I know about the rainproof one but really like the daisy wheel. Well minus the rust anyway.
Greensboro, NC

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Just take your apart and have it plated. Most plating shops will help you pick what will work best for your environment and its usage. Should be a basket charge of maybe $50.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Great suggestion @bigguy136. The answer if you keep the cast one is to clean it, oil it and after a cook, throw it in the egg when you put the ceramic cap on. If you don't have a ceramic cap and your egg sits out with the cast DFMT, plating it is a good thought. 
    You can also spray it with high temp paint, used for headers or exhaust systems. This stuff works very well. Grease will still accumulate but it will not rust. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • LeoHat2
    LeoHat2 Posts: 32
    Options
    Yeah, just treat it like a cast iron skillet. If it's really bad hit it with a wire wheel to get the rust off, toss it in the coals after a cook. On the next cook, slather it with Cristco and it'll season it. Also, unless it is flaking rust off into your meat a little rust ain't gonna matter much. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Is it this sexy??

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    That is how mine looked today. After some oil and burn it'll look brand new. Seasoning it and tossing in on shut down is stupid easy.

XLBGE 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    That is how mine looked today. After some oil and burn it'll look brand new. Seasoning it and tossing in on shut down is stupid easy.
    Perhaps so, but not tossing it in and not having to oil it is still a lot less effort than soaking it overnight in household ammonia every couple years. Plus mine don't get ugly and rusty.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    RRP said:

Perhaps so, but not tossing it in and not having to oil it is still a lot less effort than soaking it overnight in household ammonia every couple years. Plus mine don't get ugly and rusty.

I don't understand what your saying? :-/

XLBGE